Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mitral Valve Insufficiency
bkvfuller posted:

I was told by my cardiologist this week that I have mitral valve insufficiency, mild to moderate, 9/13?What do the numbers 9/13 mean? He says that I do not have anything to be concerned about; to see him once per year. I have tried looking online to see if I can find anything about the numbers but cannot find anything. A previous echocardiogram, before this one in 2004, showed mild or trace regurgitation in 3 valves. He did not mention anything about that. Prior echo also showed mild concentric hypertrophy and he did not mention this either. Should I be concerned? THanks for any insight.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I have mitral valve insufficiency, mild to moderate"

"A previous echocardiogram, before this one in 2004, showed mild or trace regurgitation in 3 valves."

Valvular regurgitation (insufficiency, leakage) levels goes from trace or physiologic (aka minimal or trivial, found in many otherwise heart-healthy people, and for the most-part, can be safely ignored), to mild (should be monitored) to moderate (should be monitored closely to see what overall effect it's having on the heart) to severe (when it gets to this point, valve repair or replacement is usually dictated).

Valvular regurgitation grading scale by echocardiography is 0-4( ). Valvular regurgitation can cause various symptoms or no symptom(s) at all.

As necessary, prescription drug-therapy treats symptoms, but does not cure the condition. As applicable, corrective treatments include catheter-based or surgical-based valve repair and replacement.

"Prior echo also showed mild concentric hypertrophy"

As reported, the normal thickness range of the left ventricle (LV) is from 0.6 to 1.1 cm, measured at the very end of diastole (the heart's resting/relaxation phase). If more than 1.1 cm thick, a diagnosis of left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) can be made.

Several patterns of LVH have been described, such as concentric and eccentric. Concentric LVH is defined as an increase in LV thickness (all over) and LV mass with increased LV diastolic pressure and volume, commonly seen in those with high blood pressure (BP). As applicable, concentric LVH is a marker/indicator of poor prognosis in the presence of high BP.

Health Central

Cardiac Enlargement: A Patient Guide

There are two types of cardiac enlargement: Hypertrophy and dilation....

With the exception of exercise-induced enlargement, all forms of cardiac enlargement are abnormal and associated with further......

http://www.healthcentral.com/heart-disease/patient-guide-44614-6.html

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

billh99 responded:
Ask for a copy of the actual report, from both the current echo and the old one..

I also have moderate MRV (mitral valve regurgitation aka insufficiency).

I don't know what the 9/13 is. I have not seen that format in any of my reading. Besides the grades or test (none, trace, mild, moderate, severe) there are also measurements in terms of area and/or volume of the regurgitation jet.

The next time that you get an echo as the operator to show you the MV and the color doppler flow.

Then at your next visit you can ask him to explain anything on the report that you could not find online.

In general MVR is only a concern after it gets to sever, you are having symptoms, or it is causing changes in the heart.

You said that your previous echo showed mild concentric hypertrophy, but your doctor did no mention now. So either it has not changed or improved.

My doctor mentioned that a lot of the readings depend on the skill of the operator and the particular equipment. So if the operator or equipment has changed that can cause some minor variation from echo to echo.

After looking at the the echo you will see a lot the outline is not a sharp edge, but more of a gradient. So their is some judgement in exactly where to start and stop the measurements.

You can probably find some echo examples on U-tube.

Based on my experience it just something that needs to be monitored, but no immediate concern. Next month I plan on riding a total of 700 miles on by bike to celebrate my 70th BD.

bkvfuller replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you so much for the great information and links. The information you provided helped me a lot. Thank you.

bkvfuller replied to billh99's response:
Thank you so much for the great information. It helped a lot. Good luck on your 700 mile ride and be safe out there.

cardiostarusa1 replied to bkvfuller's response:
You're welcome.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

-

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center