Includes Expert Content
Should I get a second opinion if a doctor says I need a triple bypass?
An_253707 posted:
I went into an ER in a hospital that I did not know (for numbness in my left side) and after an EKG and then a stress test using the nucleur liquid and then a cardiac catheter: now they say I need triple bypass surgery. It seems a little too quick, since the last stress test I had said I was okay?
billh99 responded:
Anytime that you are having a major operation or procedure and you are not 100% sure then it pays to get a second opinion. In fact some insurance companies require that you get a 2nd opinion.

That said the findings from cardiac catheterization is fairly clear. But there can be some variation between doctors a to if the blockages might be treated only with medicine, or with a stent, or with a bypass.

But it depends a lot on the number, size, and location of the blockage(s) and your health and other conditions.
James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
A coronary angiogram is a more definitive test than a nuclear stress test in determining whether you have coronary artery blockages and whether you might benefit from bypass surgery. If you are medically stable, it is reasonable to discuss options (medical treatment, stents, surgery) with your doctor or with additional doctors.