Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Should I get a second opinion if a doctor says I need a triple bypass?
An_253707 posted:
I went into an ER in a hospital that I did not know (for numbness in my left side) and after an EKG and then a stress test using the nucleur liquid and then a cardiac catheter: now they say I need triple bypass surgery. It seems a little too quick, since the last stress test I had said I was okay?

billh99 responded:
Anytime that you are having a major operation or procedure and you are not 100% sure then it pays to get a second opinion. In fact some insurance companies require that you get a 2nd opinion.

That said the findings from cardiac catheterization is fairly clear. But there can be some variation between doctors a to if the blockages might be treated only with medicine, or with a stent, or with a bypass.

But it depends a lot on the number, size, and location of the blockage(s) and your health and other conditions.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
A coronary angiogram is a more definitive test than a nuclear stress test in determining whether you have coronary artery blockages and whether you might benefit from bypass surgery. If you are medically stable, it is reasonable to discuss options (medical treatment, stents, surgery) with your doctor or with additional doctors.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center