Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Exercise
An_253790 posted:
Hello, I'm 54 years old and about 2 weeks ago I had a heart attack. The doctor discovered I had blockage in 3 arteries (100%, 50-70%, and 70-80%). I had a stent inserted in my 100% blockage and I'm due to go back for a second, and possibly a third stent next month. I've always considered myself very healthy, and for the past 5 years leading up to my incident I was fast-walking approximately 15-20 miles per week and playing disc golf 3-4 times/week. Then I had my heart attack while driving (sweaty, chest pressure with no pain, shortness of breath) and subsequent stent placement. My cardiologist said I could start walking when I felt good enough, so I've been walking every day, and I feel better than I have in a several months. I really want to play disc golf again (basically throwing a Frisbee-like disc at a basket-type goal—18 holes takes about 35-45 minutes at my local course) but I'm not sure if it would be safe to do so. Would appreciate input from anyone with similar experience. Thanks!

billh99 responded:
Your doctor know how much, if any damage, was done to your heart. So if you are not sure call your doctors office and ask to speak to his nurse and ask.

But in general many people can tolerate high intensity exercise after a heart attack. And in fact some cardiac rehab programs are starting to use HIIT (high intensity interval training).

And you might ask you doctor if he think that cardiac rehab would be of value to you.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It's fantastic that you have been exercising over the years and are motivated to keep it up! The decision of how and when and where to begin exercise after a heart attack should be made between you and your cardiologist. It might be a great time to talk about cardiac rehabilitation, a structured exercise program that is prescribed, and has been associated with improvements in hard clinical outcomes by 20%!

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center