Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Healing After Angiopath & Angioplasty
HeartWorthy posted:
Not doing so well. 56 years old. Had a heart attack and 2 stents placed in my heart on 9/6, then had surgery on 9/25 to remove piece of angio seal that broke off in my artery in my groin. My thigh is still numb and swollen. I have a hematoma the size of a peach pit next to my groin area where surgery was performed and I'm a nervous wreck. The doctor keeps telling me to relax everything will be ok. I don't know why I don't believe it, maybe because it's swollen/tight and it hurts. The good news is that it's not infected. Please help me so I can stop worrying. I know stress is not good for healing.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

....."had surgery on 9/25 to remove piece of angio-seal that broke off in my artery in my groin."

Unfortunately, problems/complications can occur with the use of vascular access closure devices.

"My thigh is still numb and swollen. I have a hematoma the size of a peach pit next to my groin area where surgery was performed......"

"The doctor keeps telling me to relax everything will be ok."

When it comes to healing and recovery, everyone is unique with each and every health/medical case/situation being different.

As reported, while the severity of a hematoma (a collection of blood under the skin) can differ, it is usually self-limiting and resolves without treatment.

My father had over a half-dozen heart catheterizations, performed, and the worst thing that ever happened, one time, other than his blood pressure plummeting and returning to normal a few minutes later, was the development of a painful groin hematoma the size (diameter) of a small grapefruit that resolved in time.

"Had a heart attack"

Especially after a heart attack has occured, one should know his/her left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF), which is the single-most important clinical indicator of how well the heart is pumping, the amount of blood that is being forced out of the left ventricle (LV) with each beat. Normal resting range is 55%-70%

Understanding Your Ejection Fraction

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/heartfailure/ejectionfraction.aspx

Post-heart attack

Typically, cardiac rehab plays an important role in the overall recovery process, which is different for everyone, and at any age.

WebMD

Cardiac Rehab

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/cardiac-rehabilitation-topic-overview

Mayo Clinic

Cardiac rehab: Building a better life after heart disease

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cardiac-rehabilitation/HB00017

Mended Hearts

Hope for recovery. Hope for a rich, full life.

For more than 50 years, Mended Hearts has been offering the gift of hope and encouragement to heart patients, their families and caregivers.

http://www.mendedhearts.org

"2 stents placed"..

Most important, coronary stents (bare-metal or drug-eluting) are only a Band-aid or spot treatment, as it doesn't address the disease process and what drives the progression.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of care, as well as good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding at ALL times.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Living with Coronary artery disease (CAD)

A chronic disease with no cure. When you have CAD, it is important to take care of your...

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or......

Recognize the symptoms...

Reduce your risk factors...

Take your medications...

See your doctor for regular check-ups...

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

-

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the LAD, the most critical, next to the ultra-critical LM.

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

_ . _

Good to know, for the primary/secondary prevention of heart attack/brain attack

Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors (encompasses new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary, peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics, diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

annaaurora responded:
You're going to be OK. I had a valve surgery and my chest is still numb. My surgery was August 4th. Sometimes I feel the Doctors don't necessarily know how important it is to know test results, etc. For instance I had a chest xray to find out what was gumming up my lungs. I finally went to my primary, she got the info. Had Pneumonia. That's not to say I don't dig my cardiologist. Take deep breathes, do you have xanex? I'm a firm believer of meds. Be well, cause you're gonna be.

zmanindc responded:
26 months ago I had a heart attack from blocked arteries that required two stents. I know it can be scary and I remember the most painful part were the weights on my groin area to stop the bleeding. I had a hematoma the size of a grape. It went away in a couple of months. The best thing you can do is relax, feel confident that you have meds and a treatment team to keep you going. Watch what you eat, exercise when you can and you will be just fine. I can honestly say I feel better and better as each month goes by.

God Bless

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Free Q&A: Heart Disease and Stress Management (2/10/11)
Hello! Lancaster General Health in Lancaster, PA is hosting a free online Q&A session on "Heart Disease and Stress Management" on ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center