Skip to content
Confused, large mass on or near heart.
Klausybear posted:
Found out my dad has a tennis ball sized mass on part of or near his heart. Depending on who I ask the location will vary slightly. It was biopsied with a neg result for cancer.

From what I am told it's not a benign tumor, scar tissue or cyst so am confused as to what it can be. It was discovered after my dad had a stroke a week ago. Any info would be appreciated.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"From what I am told it's not a benign tumor, scar tissue or cyst, so am confused as to what it can be".

One can only guess or speculate here.

In general-only, as reported in various medical literature, and as applicable to the patient, cardiac masses include, but is not limited to, abscesses, lesions, neoplasms (primary and secondary cardiac tumors), thrombus (thrombi/blood clot) and vegetations. Rarely occurring masses includes blood cysts. fungal cysts, foreign bodies, and intramyocardial hematoma (collection of blood).

Transesophageal echocardiography (TEE, utilizes a tiny transducer placed down the throat) can be useful to determine the exact location of the specific mass, it's shape, mobility (if it moves or is completely stationary), attachment, and the impact on other nearby cardiac structures. Blood flow problems due to the mass can also be determined.

Hope your dad recovers as best as possible.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests i(commonly performed, mainstream types) info, diagnostic images

http://www.heartsite.com

_ . _

Heart-Healthy Foods

Nothing complicated - just plain 'n simple

AVOID foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. CHOOSE skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. LIMIT servings to five to seven ounces a day. TRIM visible fat. Limit egg yolks. SUBSTITUTE two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. USE LESS salt and fat. SEASON WITH herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter

_ . _

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary, and peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation) , diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second and thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center