Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bundle branch block
mrscora01 posted:
I just had my annual with my cardiologist and the ecg showed BBB. He is sending me for an echocardiogram but still feels that I am fine and will see me again next year. This is completely new for me. I had a small MI in 2001 and then had 2 stents put in. Could anyone tell me a bit about this?

Thanks.

Cora

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi Cora:

"ecg showed BBB"

Left or right bundle branch block?

As applicable to the patient, left bundle branch block (LBBB) is a commonly seen electrical conduction abnormality during a routine resting electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG), that is often associated with coronary artery disease (CAD), though can occur in some heart-healthy individuals.

Good general info -

About.com

Bundle branch block

(Pertinent snippets)

Causes, significance and treatment

Bundle branch block (BBB) is a relatively frequent finding on the electrocardiogram.

Sometimes BBB itself needs to be treated; sometimes it indicates significant underlying cardiac disease that needs to be treated; and sometimes it has so little significance that no treatment is necessary at all....

http://www.heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/BBB.htm

Texas Heart Institute

Bundle Branch Block

Symptoms

If there is nothing else wrong with your heart, you probably will not feel any symptoms of bundle branch block. In fact....

Treatment

In most cases, bundle branch block does not need treatment. But patients who have....

http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Cond/bbblock.cfm

"I had a small MI in 2001 and then had 2 stents put in."

Most important
, coronary stents (bare-metal or drug-eluting) are only a Band-aid or spot treatment, as it doesn't address the disease process and what drives the progression.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of care, as well as good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding at ALL times.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Learn about the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system

Animated Tutorial

http://www.your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have CAD, it is important to take care of your......

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or......

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups......

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

-

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

_ . _

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary, peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics, diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

mrscora01 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Wow, Cardiostar, thanks so much for all the info. I have had some heart issues previously (small MI when going on dialysis and 2 stents) but that's been it. This is new for me and I didn't know what questions to ask. I'm in the process of educating myself and the good news is that I trust my cardiologist. He has yet to steer me wrong.

Thanks so much for all you posted. I'm going to be placing it in a file along with all my gathered kidney/transplant/diabetes research.

Thanks again.

Cora

cardiostarusa1 replied to mrscora01's response:
You're welcome.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

-

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center