Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
After heart attack advise
amillerjr2 posted:
I recently had a heart attack and suffered damage to the left side of my heart. A stent was inserted to bring blood flow back to the left side. This happened about two weeks ago. Beside the apprehensions of it happening again, I find myself very tired. Can anyone that has experienced this type of problem give me any direction as what to expect. I start cardiac rehab on Monday. When will I be ale to resume all normal functions? How do you get over the fear of dying?

brunosbud responded:
I'd like to answer your question, philosophically, if I may...

Under the law, we are deemed "negligent" if we unintentionally cause injury to someone in a situation where we should have known our action could cause harm.

How "Negligence" is determined in a court of law:

In order for a defendant to be found negligent, the plaintiff must prove three factors.[br>First, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care. A duty of care is the obligation to avoid careless actions that could cause harm to one or more persons. Second, the plaintiff must prove that the defendant failed to provide the proper standard of care that a reasonable person would have provided in a similar situation. The standard of care is a way of measuring how much care one persons owes another. For some people the standard of care is higher than others. Doctors, for example, have a higher standard of care toward others than the reasonable person. Third, the plaintiff must prove that the actions of the defendant were the cause of the plaintiff's injuries. Determining the cause, known as cause-in-fact, is often done by applying the "but for" test. An injury would not have happened "but for" the defendant's actions. If a teacher takes a group of students on a canoe trip and fails to provide life jackets and one student falls in and drowns, a court would likely say that the student would not have downed "but for" the teacher's failure to provide a life jacket. Therefore, this negligence was the cause-in-fact of the injury.

My point is this: Avoid "negligence" at all cost because the penalty is steep. Exercise reasonable care & due diligence of your body, then, accept whatever outcome, good or bad, free of fear or regret. Live gloriously, die gracefully.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center