Skip to content
Need help with echocardiogram results
dd36inor posted:

I have been feeling very sick for almost 3 months. Very short of breath, started out just with exertion and then even at rest, horrible cough started with getting stuff up (sorry) and then went to an annoying dry cough everyone once and a while, swelling in legs and feet, dizziness, chest pain and very fatigued. The dr. did a full workup, first chest ray looked like it was bronchial pneumonia (which is not uncommon for me to get multiple times a year) so put me on antibiotics, steroids and an inhaler. After 3 doses of antibiotics and chest xray not clearing up had ct-scan which only found a 3mm ground glass opacity on the bottom of my right lung. So then I had a Pulmonary function test which showed my DLCO was 66% which I was told was low. So referred to a pulmonologist which ran blood work again and sent me for an echo said that he need to rule out pulmonary hypertension (due to my 5 year history using phen-fen and Redux years back). Had my echo and he said that everything looked fine wanted to run an ANA blood test and see me back in 4 weeks. So hear I am scratching my head because I am still feeling very ill and he is just blowing me off for a month. So I asked for a copy of my echo results. Wanted to see if anyone could help me understand them because my dr. wouldn't explain it to me.[br>[br>Left ventricle diastole: 51mm - systole 34mm[br>Aortic root: 29mm[br>Left atruim: 34mm[br>Diastolic wall thickness of septum: 10mm[br>Posterior wall thickness: 10mm[br>Left ventricular end diastolic volume of 115ml and end systolic volume of 39ml.[br>Left atrial volume of 46ml, index of 25 ml/m2[br>Right atrial dimensions: 47x34mm[br>[br>1)Left ventricular size is upper limits of normal. Ejection fraction estimated in the high 60's.[br>2) Right ventricular size and function[br>3) Upper limits of normal to mildly dilated left atrium[br>4) Upper limits of normal right atrial size[br>5) Minimal thickening of mitral valve. Trace mitral regurgitation[br>6) Mild thickening with minimal calcification of aortic valve. Aortic regurgitation is noted which is of mild degree with eccentric jet directly towards anterior leaflet of mitral valve.[br>7) Structurally normal tricuspid valve. Trace regurgitation[br> Pulmonic valve not well seen. Trace pulmonic regurgitation[br>9)Inferior vena cava is of normal size with preserved collapsibility consistent with relatively normal right artial pressures.[br>10) An accurate estimation of pulmonary artery pressure is not possible based of this study[br>11) No evidence of diastolic disfunction[br>[br>So with these results was the dr. able to rule out pulmonary hypertension even though the test says they were not able to see the pulmonic valve?[br>How does everything else look? I have been trying to research results online but, I am just confusing myself.[br>[br>Thank you in advance for responding. I just want to get to the bottom of this all and start feeling like my "old" self.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center