Skip to content
Casien protein taken while on Heart medication
commanderdusty posted:
I have a question about Casein Protein. I have been reading that Casein Protein is good to take at night and one of the reasons, is that it takes a long time to digest and therefore because when you are sleeping, it is the longest time the body goes without taking in any nourishment it is beneficial to your body. I have a completely blocked RCA but the good part is that my body has given me a natural bypass and the cardiologist says that the collateral arteries are very good. I continue to work out but not at the same level I use to. I take an aspirin (81 mg) along with TIAZAC each night to control angina and keep my blood pressure low. My question is that if I want to take Casein protein at night (I have read that it goes into a sort of gel in your stomach) do you think that will interfere with my heart medication?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Do you think that will interfere with my heart medication?"

Most important, please consult with your doctor. Your local pharmacist may/can be helpful as well.

"I have a completely blocked RCA but the good part is that my body has given me a natural bypass and the cardiologist says that the collateral arteries are very good. I continue to work out but not at the same level I use to."

"I take an aspirin (81 mg) along with TIAZAC each night to control angina and......"

For those unfamiliar, coronary artery collaterals (a natural development, a gradual process, one's own "bio-bypass" or "natural bypass" so-to-speak) involves tiny (rescue or backup) vessels, that connect two larger coronary arteries or different segments of the same artery. These vessels provide an alternate route for blood flow to the heart muscle (myocardium) when called for in an emergency.

Those who have well-developed (and open) coronary artery collaterals are the lucky ones (as my father was), because this form of blood supply helps protect the heart from an attack, or limits the damage to the heart muscle from tissue death if/when the normal blood supply is totally cut off (100% blockage).

The main drawback is that these collaterals are not really meant to carry the whole load of the heart, though they may/can provide significant blood flow in some individuals.

These vessels seldom delivers the same amount of blood flow that the unblocked native artery or arteries originally did, but the blood flow may be/can be enough to ease/reduce chest pain/discomfort in some individuals and reduce the risk of a serious heart attack or death some time later on.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have CAD, it is important to take care of your......

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or......

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups......

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

-

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

_ . _

Good to know, for the primary/secondary prevention of heart attack/brain attack

Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors (encompasses new, novel or emerging) for atherosclerosis, typically affecting the carotid, coronary, peripheral arteries, which includes age, gender, genetics, diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), Low HDL (now questionable, according to recent studies) high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

WebMD DOES NOT endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

NEVER
delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

IF YOU have a medical emergency CALL 911.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center