Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
AFib, mitral valve prolapse, osteoarthriis
An_254377 posted:
I am 82 and have
Afib and the valve problem for several years and Diagnosed with osteoarthritis 6 months ago. The past few months my heart rate and blood pressure have been erratic. Diastolic over 90, heart rate between 80 and 110. Last week saw my cardiac doctor . He told me I was in Afib, took me off propafenone cause it wasn't working (?) and did not replace it with another med to help control the erratic heart rate. My big question here is, how does Afib, valve problem and osteoarthritis relate? How does one affect the other? I imagine the pain is from the osteoarthritis.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"How does Afib, valve problem and osteoarthritis relate? How does one affect the other?"

Atrial fibrillation (AF) may/can be caused by heart valve conditions/abnormalities (valvular heart disease).

Additionally, AF has various causes (also known to be associated with many cardiac conditions) or triggers, sometimes being a one time-only occurrence, or may/can come and go or be chronic.

During AF, electrical signals in the atria occur in a very fast, uncontrolled, and chaotic manner so that the atria quiver instead of contract, producing ineffective and disorganized atrial contractions. These disorganized electrical signals then arrive at the ventricles in an irregular fashion.

As reported, AF is an independent risk factor for a brain attack/stroke (increasing the risk about 5-fold), and significantly increases all-cause mortality in most age groups. Some individuals with AF are at an increased risk of heart failure or cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease).

There are a small % of individuals in which a reversible cause for AF can be readily identified, e.g., alcoholism, hyperthyroidism, or diabetes, and thus AF does not recur once the cause has been alleviated.

As applicable to the particular patient, goals for managing recurrent or chronic AF are to restore and maintain the normal atrial rhythm and pumping function, control the ventricular rate, prevent any correlating major adverse cardiac event (MACE).

AF Management

Correct any electrolyte imbalance/defficiency, in particular, potassium, magnesium. Consider cardioversion (externally shocking the heart into normal sinus rhythm, which may/can fail). Control the ventricular response. Consider anticoagulation (Coumadin) therapy, or new novel drugs that may be/are becoming/have become available, that don't require blood monitoring or interact with other drugs, foods and beverages.

Additionally, as reported in a recent study, osteoarthritis (OA) was found to be an independent predictor of cardiovascular disease (CVD). The results suggested that osteoarthritis (OA) is associated with the increased risk of CVD.

Older males and adult women with OA had a higher risk of CVD, particularly ischemic heart disease (IHD) and congestive heart failure (CHF), though further studies are needed to confirm the results.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Learn about the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system

Animated Tutorial

http://www.your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html

Heart Rhythm Society

Patient and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org/patients

-

Learn About the

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

WeMD DOES NOT endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

billh99 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Additionally, as reported in a recent study, osteoarthritis (OA) was found to be an independent predictor of cardiovascular disease (CVD). The results suggested that osteoarthritis (OA) is associated with the increased risk of CVD.

There is some thought that it is due to reduced activity caused by the pain from the osteoarthritis.

And people with knee OA who have had a replacement has improved CV outcomes.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center