Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
can somebody with heart disease take in more salt than recommended for just one day?
An_254480 posted:
Hi, my dad has recently gotten a heart stent due to a 90% artery blockage. One of the things he was told to limit in his diet was salt. If he eats more than the doctor's recommended amount(1500 mg) in one day(thanksgiving!), will he be okay? Should he try to eat even less salt than usual the day before and after, or should he just not try it at all? Fat and calories are not really concerns because the families we're eating with are pretty healthy, but salt always seems to be the factor that people forget. Thanks!

mrscora01 responded:
Obviously I'm not a doctor, but my opinion (given all of my own health issues) is that one day of indulgence is not going to hurt. Even when I was on dialysis, I would (at Christmas) have a high potassium day. My Dad who has successfully dealt with his heart disease for over 40 years, also indulges in the odd high fat or salt day. As long as you don't make a habit of it, he should be ok.

michelle98 replied to mrscora01's response:
thanks for your reply, but now i have another question: what do you mean by "high potassium day"? I was under the impression that higher levels of potassium were beneficial to the heart- of course too much is bad, but I thought you could only reach those levels with supplements?

mrscora01 replied to michelle98's response:
I had kidney problems. High potassium is a potentially dangerous issue with kidney patients, especially for those on dialysis like I was. So every once in a while I would indulge. Higher sodium intake in a heart patient is not as critical as high potassium in a kidney patient. So indulging in salt every once in while isn't really that big a deal.

Cora

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Info for the masses

Holiday & Seasonal

Avoid Spending Thanksgiving in the ER

Simple Steps Can Keep You and Your Family Safe, Healthy and Happy This Holiday

Excerpt:

Eating Safely

The key is to approach your Thanksgiving meal with moderation. Food is usually abundant on Thanksgiving, however for some, it can be too much, consumed too quickly.

For those with medical conditions like congestive heart failure, kidney disease, high blood pressure, etc., excess of salt can be dangerous. Monitor your sodium intake and make sure you take any necessary prescription medications, as you would any other day. Consult your doctor if necessary.

Eat your food slowly and when satisfied take a break and allow your body to process it. Eating too quickly can cause heartburn, indigestion and may create chest pain, which generally requires assessment.

http://www.emergencycareforyou.org/YourHealth/HolidayAndSeasonal/Default.aspx?id=26198

Happy Holidays!

Take care all.

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

WebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Coffee Can Lower Depression Risk in WomenGuest Expert
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204010604576594853506227020.html More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center