Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I just had a stent put in 2 weeks ago scared to exercise
boxerlady posted:
I am 38 years old did an hour of cardio 3 times a week I had a diet of salads salads salads and cheese My husband took me to the hospital because I had underarm pit pain shortness of breath. I stent later I am thankful to God for letting me continue to be an inhabitant on His beautiful green earth I had very minimal damage however I get these little tweaks or little pains that come and go. I think it is the change of not having my salads they said it is only for a year ) I am starting to feel really great. Over did it a little at the grocery store yesterday. All those light weight items add up:/ I am curious. Can I start doing yoga ? As a beginner. I need something to work my stress out from work and cardio rehab doesn't start for 2 more weeks. I have quit smoking so I need this.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

Kudos for qutting the cigs and signing up for cardiac rehab.

"I had very minimal damage"

"I am curious. Can I start doing yoga?"

Probably, though naturally, and since everyone is unique with each and every health/medical case/situation being different, this should be discussed with your doctor(s) first and foremost.

AND SPEAKING OF yoga, definitely worth mentioning here for the masses, several months ago, someone with cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease), severe left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF, the amount of blood pumped out by the left ventricle with each beat) and had a stent implanted, said that they would like to do yoga.

I had read that there was a pilot study of yoga in heart failure patients, and the conclusions reached in it was that yoga was deemed safe, with participants experiencing improved physical function and symptom stability.

It was noted that larger studies are warranted though to provide more nonpharmacological options for improved outcomes in patients with heart failure.

Additionally here, there over four dozen risk factors, markers, indicators for cardiovascular disease, some iffy/questionable, new, novel emerging, with more certainly to come.

And as reported, a risk factor merely increases the probability that one will develop cardiovascular disease, BUT doesn't 100% guarantee that one will develop it, nor does its absence (or even the absence of ALL known risk factors) 100% guarantee that one won't have a heart attack or brain attack/stroke.

The bottom line

Coronary stents (bare-metal or drug-eluting) are only a Band-aid or spot-treatment, as it doesn't address the disease process and what drives the progression.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (may/can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration and even sme regression) condition requiring a continuum of care.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have CAD, it is important to take care.....

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or surgery to improve blood flow to the heart../It is up to you to take steps.....

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups...

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. TALK to your DOCTOR and ASK QUESTIONS. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

deadmanwalking57 responded:
Boxerlady:

Start with walking. See how many minutes you tolerate. you are not going for speed first. I am against Yoga in cardiac rehab as it, IMHO, can not improve both heart and muscle function for active movement in daily life. Static or slow motion poses do not help with circulation in flexing muscle. Plus more motion causes skeletal muscles to produce healing substances in the interleukin molecule family, IL-10 I think.

Back off to exercise you tolerate without shortness of breath or any chest discomfort.

Cheese is mostly saturated fat. Give it up completely. I have had no cheese since my bypass surgery in January 2006, nor pretty much any other dairy. Adopt a very low fat diet with very high anti-oxidant content, and add in all berries, plus pomegranate on a near daily basis. Cook with herbs and spices. I am literally something of a poster boy for successful cardiac rehab with WebMD. See their magazine from the archives, september 2012, page 73. Consider taking a cardiac rehab discussion to the WebMD community forum Heart Health Cardiac Rehabilitation.

I have not heard of a blood thinner requiring a no veggie diet. Demand a different one if at all possible. Too many beneficial substances in veggies, than some minor assist with a blood thinner. A healthier diet is highly likely to be better for you than any blood thinner. I had and may still have a dozen other inoperable and unstentable blockages, and was never given such a blood thinner.

deadmanwalking57 replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
The biggest factors in heart disease are poor diet, stress, smoking and other chemical irritants, and lack of exercise.

There are DOZENS of studies about various forms of exercise other than Yoga that are highly beneficial for cardiac rehabilitation. A key is monitoring of heart rate and breathing, and not overdoing it. Seven years ago I could barely walk around the house after emergency bypass surgery. I have progressed to being able to play basketball, volleyball, and scull (row) as much as I tolerate. I row with power, and play volleyball for hours, that wears out most people I play with, half my age.

I think I have way more fun than anyone doing yoga. Fun translate to low stress, which is also of great importance in cardiac rehabilitation.

DeadManWalking. And running, sculling, and having a great time, pain free, angina free.

boxerlady replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
Thank you all for the comments. I am walking a out 30 minutes twice a day. When the weather permits. With little or no shortness of breath. I will hold off on the other until I have my first follow up visit with the doctor. I am hoping they will okay the yoga but if not I will live:) This is hereditary my father has a stent in the same artery I do. he just was a little older then I am now ( thanks trans fat ) that I am learning is in EVERYTHING !!! It is a beautiful day. God Made !!!

boxerlady replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you much cardio star. I guess I thought I was invincible. Making the lifestyle change now. My husband is too. From what I have heard and seen with others. Change does make a difference for the better. Some people that I have spoken with have only had one episode. And have lived 20 years without another. I am trying to learn how to follow in their footsteps. I have a list of questions for the doctor on Thursday.

cardiostarusa1 replied to boxerlady's response:
You're welcome.

"I guess I thought I was invincible."

That's certainly understandable. It's human nature.

"I have a list of questions for the doctor on Thursday."

Kudos on that.

Do the very best that you possibly can to reduce the chance of/prevent future cardiac events and procedures.

Take good care,

CardioStar*

-

-

Good to Know

The symptoms of artery-narrowing atherosclerosis are highly variable
. Those with mild atherosclerosis may present with clinically important symptoms and signs of disease and heart attack, or absolute worst case scenario, sudden cardiac death (SCD) may be the first and only symptom of coronary artery disease (CAD). However, many individuals with anatomically advanced disease may have no symptoms and experience no functional impairment.

Heart-Healthy Foods

Nothing complicated, just plain and simple

AVOID foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. CHOOSE skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. LIMIT servings to five to seven ounces a day. TRIM visible fat. Limit egg yolks. SUBSTITUTE two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. USE LESS salt and fat. SEASON WITH herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center