Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Median Arcurate Ligament Syndrome/Celiac Artery Compression/MALS
sarahhasabdominalpain posted:
I am a 20 year old women who is 5'8" and weighs 120 pounds. [br>[br>I recently had an Ultrasound of my abdomen and it suggested possible celiac artery compression and the abnormal results can be seen below.[br>[br>"There is an abnormal increased velocity involving the celiac artery origin in the supine position with a peak systolic velocity of 294 cm/s, at inspiration 326 cm/s, expiration 406 cm/s. The knee semi-upright position during expiration the velocity is 276 cm/s, upright expiration 147 cm/s." [br>[br>However, when my doctor followed this test up with an MRA it came back normal. I am confused how this could be. I have been suffering from upper left abdomen pain, constipation, and left chest pain for nearly two years and have had roughly 15 other tests done over the past two years to exclude several possibilities. I have also been on several different medications. If anyone who knows something about MALS could educate me on how it is possible for the MRA to not show any signs of MALS that would be great.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Recently had an ultrasound of my abdomen and it suggested possible celiac artery compression"

"However, when my doctor followed this test up with an MRA it came back normal. I am confused how this could be."

"How it is possible for the MRA to not show any signs of MALS"

Since nothing in the medical world is perfect, sometimes, a condition can be misinterpreted, overlooked or completely missed with this or that type of diagnostic test/imaging modality.

For those unfamilar with Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome (MALS)

As reported, this is a medical condition that may result in significant abdominal pain (angina-like). This pain is attributed to the compression of the celiac artery by the median arcuate ligament which can compromise blood flow and cause symptoms, such as abdominal pain shortly after eating meals, weight loss, or an abdominal bruit (pronounced "brew-ee", a rushing sound, like what is heard in a carotid artery in the neck when there is a narrowing or stenosis), which may be heard by a doctor upon clinical examination.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD Member (since 8/99)

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

"61BWebMD/WebMD forums does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center