Skip to content
Question about Acsending thoracic aortic aneurysm and aortic valve problems
An_243880 posted:
I have an ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm, diagnosed in 2007. I am a 53 year old female. It is 4.6 cm and has been stable for a number of years. I also have leakage from my aortic valve which is visible on an echo. Lately I have been experiencing chest pain and shortness of breath, however there is no change in the aneurysm. There is more backflow from the valve however. Could my symptoms be related to that? I spent 48 hrs in the hospital being appropriately evaluated, however no real answer about the new onset of symptoms.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"There is more backflow from the valve however."

"Could my symptoms be related to that?"

It may/could be.

Valvular regurgitation (leakage) levels goes from trace or physiologic (aka minimal or trivial, found in many otherwise heart-healthy people, and for the most-part, can be safely ignored), to mild (should be monitored) to moderate (should be monitored closely to see what overall effect it's having on the heart) to severe (when it gets to this point, valve repair or replacement is usually dictated).

Valvular regurgitation grading scale by echocardiography is 0-4plus.Valvular regurgitation can cause various symptoms (such as chest pain, tightness, pressure or discomfort, irregular hearbeat, shortness of breath) or no symptom(s) at all.

As necessary, prescription drug-therapy treats symptoms, but does not cure the condition. As applicable, corrective treatments include catheter-based or surgical-based valve repair and replacement.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center