Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Adult with Coarctation of the Aorta
mel_lynn_s posted:
I know that CoA is usually corrected in childhood but is there anyone else out there that has this defect? I'm almost 30 with uncorrected CoA, had a CT of my heart which showed my Aorta is 50% closed. BP is pretty good but I have heart palpitations and chest pains. They used to be every now and then but recently have been almost every day. I don't have insurance right now and won't have any until March. Just hoping to connect with others who might be experiencing the same as me.

mel_lynn_s responded:
I also had PDA closure in 1989 at the age of 5. My most recent EKG was abnormal and the ER dr said it showed Right Atrial Enlargement, but he wasn't sure how that related to my CoA. Anyone know if it related? The dr who ordered the CT scan that showed the Aorta is 50% closed said that was not "clinically significant" for surgical correction...does anyone know what percentage of closure does it have to be to be corrected? Thanks everyone.

cardiostarusa1 replied to mel_lynn_s's response:
Hi:

Be sure to check out -

Congenital Heart Information Network

http://www.tchin.org

In general, the causes of actual (usually confirmed with echocardiography) right atrial enlargement (RAE) include, but is not limited to, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), mitral valve stenosis (narrowing), mitral valve regurgitation (leakage), pulmonary embolism (PE, blood clot in the lungs), some congenital heart defects.

Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctor(s) at all times.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD forums DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

mel_lynn_s replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Sadly, I have no insurance

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center