Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    cervical TOS
    jackolope56 posted:
    57yr old auto mechanic having numbness in left tricep to ring and pinky.terrible pain in either finger joints when have to strike a blow or more with ballpean hammer.Have developed a heart pulse "misfire"ie.3 beats ...skip beat.where do I start for help?
    billh99 responded:
    A family/general practitioner would be the best place to start.

    The arm pain sounds like some kind of nerve problem.

    And the heart irregularity might be benign PVC's or could be more of an issue.

    A family doctor is the best place to sort those out. To possible start treatment and/or direct you to specialist.
    jackolope56 replied to billh99's response:
    Thank s thought was which specialist to see first.Three weeks ago had yearly physical and found new problem hypothyroidism.Have a feeling some of other problems I'm experiencing could be related and need to see different specialists.(PCP referred me to rheumatologist ,neurologist and cardiologist) Whom to see first ?
    Love one another as God loves you.
    billh99 replied to jackolope56's response:
    What specifically did your PCP say about seeing the cardiologist. Was there any urgency or did he just say that is something to check out?

    And some of it depends on how long it takes to get an appointment with each specialist.

    I am not a medical professional, but I know that thyroid imbalances can effect heart rate and irregularities. So unless the PCP indicated some urgency I would start with the rheumatologist first. I assume that he is the one that work on the thyroid issues. But I thought that an Endocrinologist would be the one that does that.

    Once you see him discuss the other issues and if there could be any relationship. If not (which I suspect for the arm pain) go ahead on make an appointment with the other(s).

    Helpful Tips

    potassium levels
    talk to your physician and check your meds on WebMD -- some med combinations either deplete or increase potassium levels in your ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

    Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center