Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Left arm pain and heaviness
sylver25 posted:
Hi. I'm 26 years old and a male. I'm overweight but I'm workout on it. I have GERD that I'm working to take under control. I've had symptoms for years now on and off of chest pain, collarbone pain, left arm pain, neck pain, and so on....

I've had probably 7 EKGs in the last 5 years. I've also in the past had ECHOs done. In 2010 I had a treadmill stress test done that said I passed with flying colors.

I've always been told that my heart was fine and that it was most likely GERD/Acid Reflux and anxiety. I take blood pressure medication and also Zoloft for anxiety and depression.

This last night I awoke at 2am with left arm pain and was nauseous. I had eaten and fell asleep right after. I eventually threw up and hours later was able to sleep a few hours. All today I've been having on and off left arm pain. Sometimes in the forearm. Sometimes in the bicep. Sometimes even in my wrist. It's on and off and also at times feels heavy. I took some pain medication a bit ago which is somewhat helping. Knowing all this information what do you think cardiac pain???

Will an inflammatory med help arm pain from the heart feel better??

I have an appointment with my Primary tomorrow for a physical. No doubt I'll tell him this and he'll look at me perplexed as always.

Any info??

Thanks Dave

brunosbud responded:
Print out your post and take it with you, tomorrow. Explain, verbatim, and if he shrugs and looks perplexed, have him sign and date your printout. Something's not right and I don't need an MD after my name to know that. Tests are required, asap.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
I agree that this is a great history of your symptoms and you should bring it with you when you see your doctor - I hope that everything worked out well and you have some clarity.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center