Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
depression after heart attack
lindaroger posted:
My husband had a heart attack appox. 1 month ago. I am trying to get him to talk me about his feelings, he won't. But he always was a quiet man never talked about his feelings. I just wish I knew what to say or do to get him to talk about this. I feel if he don't talk he may have another heart attack. I do not want that to happen. Everyone in the house needs to walk on egg shells.please help me to help him
Thank you
billh99 responded:
Depression is a common after effect from having a heart attack.

If he is not in a Cardiac Rehab program see that he gets into one.

That does many things. The main thing is monitored exercise showing that life is not over and he can still be productive.

It also includes education in things like diet, exercise, medicines, etc.

Find out from the cardiologist and/or hospital to see if they have a support group for patients or family.

Also, if he will allow it, go with him to his doctors appointments.
James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
One possibility to consider would be a cardiac rehabilitation program. They are covered by insurance and are associated with a lower future risk of heart attack. In addition to providing a structured exercise program in a safe environment, there is also nutritional counseling and sometimes discussions about depression, feelings, etc. Hopefully there is one available in your area.
stellagonzalez responded:
Oh sad to hear that, why don't you take him to good psychiatrist. He needs special care, attention and support from you.

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center