Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Am I high risk?
paristopez posted:
I just had my cholesterol tested and it was 204. I'm 32 5ft 4in woman and 105 lbs. I'm a pesco-vegetarian and I eat pretty healthy. I'm concerned because my father died of a heart attack at 38. He was a smoker and overweight though. My doctor said my numbers, BP and weight is fine but researching the number it seems to be borderline high? Do I need to worry? My father's mother, brother, and father all had massive heart attacks. All smokers and overweight though.

billh99 responded:
Are yo;u diabetic? Have high blood pressure? Any family history of early heart disease in your family?

What is your LDL, HDL, triglycerides?

The new guidelines are for those which LDL over 190. Which I doubt you have with a total cholesterol of 204.

Or have a calculated risk. And with your age, unless answer yes to the above questions you are at low risk.

paristopez replied to billh99's response:
My father died of a heart attack when he was 38

atti_editor responded:
Hi paristopez,

This article explains what would put you at high risk for heart attack and is in line with what billh99 said. You might speak with your doctor about your family history of heart attack and see if he/she recommends you take any precautions or make any lifestyle changes to ward off heart attack. It seems to me that you take good care of yourself from what you describe, and if your doctor has said your numbers are fine then it is likely you have nothing to worry about.

Best wishes,
Atti

billh99 replied to paristopez's response:
My father died from an MI at 43.

If this really concerns you then you might want to look for cardiologist that practices preventive cardiology.

And ask him if he thinks that it would be appropriate for you to get an advanced lipid test such as VAP or NMR. They look at details of the cholesterol that are not shown in the common cholesterol panels. And those details help better define the risk.

You might also ask about getting a CT calcium scan. But as a woman and your age I suspect that they might suggest to wait some years for that.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center