Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can anxiety cause blood pressure and pulse to drop over time...Long
th3techgirl posted:
For over a year and a half, I have been having anxiety/panic attacks. The attacks would last for two maybe 3 hours at the most with my symptoms of rapid heart rate (110 - 125 bpm), nausea, hot flashes, gag reflex flaring up, loss of appetite, chest tightness, dizziness, shortness of breath at times, extreme irritability, etc., being present during the attacks. Once the attacks fade, I have frequent urination (which I know is from the adreneline rush) fatigue, and brain fog and I am usually pretty much quiet for awhile after an attack.[br>[br>I haven't been able to get to the doctor to have this problem taken care of due to the attacks happen all the time and has now controlled my life to where if I even attempt to go anywhere, I have an attack.[br>[br>One big attack in 2012 landed me at the ER where the nurses even freaked me out. My x-rays, EKG, and urine came back fine but my blood work showed my potassium was real low and they got me started on potassium.[br>[br>Here recently, in fact last week, I had several bad attacks to where I just didn't have an appetite to eat anymore (I forced myself to eat something bland but had lost 5 pounds in one week because of my appetite) Now, since this last anxiety attack I have noticed that I am always tired, my heart feels like it skips a beat and my blood pressure, once ran anywhere between, 110/68 to 120/80 has now dropped to anywhere from 98/72 to 87/64 and my heart rate stays anywhere from 53 to 64 bpm. Also, my new other symptom is since this last anxiety attack, is the feeling of not being myself. It is like a brain fog but my head don't feel the same. Kind of like when you run a high fever from the influenza and it just leaves you feeling like a zombie. (best way of describing it)[br>[br>Now today, I just feel, not myself. I am a paranoid person. Especially when it comes to my heart as heart problems ran in my family on my late moms side (she passed away from a heart attack that could have been prevented if the hospital monitored her better and watched what they gave her)[br>[br>I just fear that now with the new blood pressure levels I am having that it is my heart. I am only 33 and have lost 38 pounds since my anxiety which I now weigh 145 and I am 5'6" tall. [br>[br>But, I am not urinating as often either and I wonder if my blood pressure could be because of not drinking enough water and not getting the proper nutrients (I do drink Ensure at least twice a day because of my appetite)[br>[br>Since my anxiety, I keep to myself in my bedroom. I do try to get outside and walk around the yard a bit. But, I am pretty much in my room, watching movies and playing video games on my computer. [br>[br>Can anybody give me any suggestions on this? I feel....alone a lot. Scared often, and if I get startled (easy to do now) I cry. [br>[br>I know I need to been seen by a doctor, but until then, I am open for suggestions and I hope the details I provided in this was enough to help. Sorry for it being so long.

Today (April 13, 2014) I had to call the medics because while I was standing and talking, I suddenly felt real dizzy and faint like and felt like I couldn't breathe. Medics arrived and my blood pressure was 142 over something (can't remember the bottom number) my pulse was 91 to 110 BPM. They ran a 4 lead EKG on me and the medics said it was fine.

Because I haven't really ate much for over a week nor drink any water or anything, could this cause my blood pressure and pulse to be lower than what I am use to?

tank1068 responded:
Anxiety can cause all kinds of issues, I am not a Dr but I've been a firefighter EMT for 23 years. I suffer from slight anxiety and can have multiple PVC's during my "attacks". I've seen so much bad stuff in my career I've developed anxiety about my arrhythmia and when this happens it just makes it worse. My first suggestion is to see a Dr you trust and get on some anti-anxiety meds. Then for your own peace of mind have the Dr. Do a physical with blood work to ease your mind. The mind is so powerful you really need to get your anxiety in check. Good luck!

billh99 responded:
The mind-body is very powerful. The mind can cause changes in hormones (fight or flight response) which in turn can change blood pressure and heart rate. And noticing those change can cause more anxiety.

And those long term can make physical changes in the body.

Also some times purely medical conditions can trigger the changes in heart rate, which can trigger anxiety.

What ever the trigger it can be a vicious cycle and continues to get worse.

And everything that you are doing right now is just making things worse. Poor diet, no exercise, not getting out.

While the ER and EMT's are good as determining if there is an immediate condition, they are no good for finding "hidden" problems.

You need to get a doctor that you can work with to look at any physical causes and to treat the results of the anxiety.

You also need to see a councilor to help find the triggers to the anxiety and work at methods to help control it (relaxation responses).

Anti-anxiety meds might be needed at the start, but they are not a fix for your problems.

I went through much the same with I was 43, the age that father died from a heart attack. But in my case my symptoms showed up as digestive problems.

diytestkitsdotcom responded:
Hi Th3techgirl,

There is a lot of things that anxiety can cause. It does have the tendency to make blood pressure and heart rate rise. It is because intense emotions can bring about fatigue on the physical body. Just as you can feel a tightness in your chest area and some pain by the stomach area when you laugh too much, anxiety can also tire you up.

Your worries are not even unfounded. Since as you say heart problems run in your family, it means that you could well be a candidate. I don't say this to scare, rather I mean this to tell you that it is not just paranoia that is causing you to worry. Being worried is not bad at all. It will help you be more ready and equipped to avoid the situation as much as possible.

You also need to make more effort in monitoring your own health. Take good care of it, because keeping your health in good condition is your best defense. Part of that is eating. You need not eat a whole horse, just as long as you eat enough to keep your strength up. Quality versus quantity. Eat as much healthy food as you can. Avoid those that can harm you.

It is not going to be easy. You might have to struggle. But as long as you have the conviction of wanting to help yourself, you can persevere. I hope you feel better and see a doctor soon.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center