Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
LDL 23 and Triglycerides 32
sarahleethomas posted:
I have had my labs done for the past 3 years, yearly. My cholesterol averages @ 87. My LDL's average 22! My Triglycerides stay @ 32. The Dr office acts like this is fine. I'm starting to worry. I have had a liver biopsy due to fatty liver (non alcohol) and sometimes my ALT elevate. I'm normal weight & no meds. Any ideas

billh99 responded:
There is a generic condition that causes very low levels of cholesterol. And in the most they people or extremely healthy. In fact there is research based on this to develop a new cholesterol drug.

However, low level of cholesterol can be called some other diseases. If this is a life long pattern then it is probably a generic condition.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
There are some people who do have lower LDL cholesterol as compared to the typical person. As long as you eat a healthy, well rounded diet, medication is not typically recommended.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center