Skip to content
Low Carbon Dioxide Test...
jessbaq posted:
I am a 25 year old female, so far I have a clean medical record.

I went to see my Primary Care Physician (about 2 weeks ago) over some suspicious bruises I had in both my legs. I counted about 10. My symptoms as I explained it to my Doctor was as follows:

-Bruises in both legs and they seem to be located in the same areas on each leg. - Legs falls asleep with ease also arms, hands, feet either when I am sitting or resting my arm, driving or using the phone. -heart palpitations especially when resting -headaches sometimes accompanied with dizziness and blurry vision -muscle twitches -hair falling out -rashes on arms

I have been dealing with these symptoms for about 2 years. I have done almost about every test and everything has come back normal except for my most recent CBC that my Doctor ordered that indicate a level of 19 mmol/L in my total Carbon Dioxide.

My doctor told me I shouldn't be concerned about the blood test so much as it could be due to a bit of not enough water intake. She believes my symptoms might be because of bad circulation. My doctor also ordered a Doppler ultrasound of my veins and arteries on my legs, and I have to get those test done soon.

I am a bit concerned about the Carbon Dioxide level and whether or not it might indicate why my symptoms are occurring. Should I be concerned? What does a level of that amount and my symptoms indicate? Is there anything else I can ask or tell the doctor so we can find the reasons as to why I am experiencing these symptoms? I would appreciate your help and response. Thank you.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

"Am a bit concerned about the carbon dioxide level and whether or not it might indicate why my symptoms are occurring."

"Should I be concerned?"

Yes, of course.

"What does a level of that amount and my symptoms indicate?" I

WebMD/Healthwise

Carbon Dioxide

Test Overview

A carbon dioxide test measures the total amount of the three forms of carbon dioxide (bicarbonate, carbonic acid, and dissolved carbon dioxide) in your blood. This test is also called a total carbon dioxide or TCO2 test.

Normal

Carbon dioxide - adults:

23?29 millimoles per liter (mmol/L)

Low values -

Low values may be caused by:

Problems that increase blood pH (respiratory alkalosis), such as pneumonia, cirrhosis, liver failure, or hyperventilation.

Problems that decrease blood pH (metabolic acidosis), such as uncontrolled diabetes, kidney or heart failure, aspirin overdose, shock, frequent diarrhea, dehydration, long-term (chronic) starvation, and swallowing antifreeze (ethylene glycol) or wood alcohol (methanol).

What Affects the Test

What to Think About

www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/carbon-dioxide

Lab Tests Online

Understanding your tests

CO2

Also known as: Total C02, TCO2, Bicarbonate

Formal name: Carbon Dioxide Content

www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/co2/test.html

Additionally, of the different types/kinds of heart conditions, some which can occur at ANY AGE, various symptoms can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic), or even be silent. Sometimes, a condition can be overlooked, missed, or misinterpreted with this or that type of diagnostic test.

Take care,

CardioStar☆

WebMD community member (8/99)

-

-

☑Be well-informed

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men/Women

Acquired or Congenital

www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

SYMPTOMS

www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Treatments and drugs. Lifestyle and home remedies. Prevention...

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the ☂ of....

www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac (commonly performed) tests info, actual diagnostic images.

www.heartsite.com

-

Good to know, for the primary/secondary prevention of heart attack/brain attack

Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors for atherosclerosis (typically affects coronary, carotid, peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, mutation), diabetes (the highest risk factor), smoking (includes secondhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), diet high in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against dreaded coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

- -

OptumHealth

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits

Ten tips for making your visit to the doctor more effective.

www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Health+Hubs/item/Making+the+Most+of+Your+Doctor+Visits

HealingWell

You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango

Your medical care is a two way street......

www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5

It's your future......be there.

. .

☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

jmkkklove responded:
am doing the same thing and my co2 level is 29.00. did you ever find out anything?

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center