Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Warfarin and gout
radioman720 posted:
I have recently been treated for blood clots in my leg and for pulmonary embolisms. I was on IV treatment Heparin and am taking warfarin (currently 11 mg.). We are working on getting the dosage theraputic. I was released with an INR of 2.6 and 48 hours later it was 4.4. I also take Avalide (anti-hypertensive med with diuretic) daily. I have a sore heel that feels like pain I had with previous incidents of gout. Does the combination of these medications have anything to do with a higher chance of gout? I also have a family history of both blood clots and gout. My father suffered from both and took coumadin as long as I can remember.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "Does the combination of these medications have anything to do with a higher chance of gout?" In some individuals (as reported in various medical literature), it may/can. Also, as reported, gout develops more frequently in males than in females, and is more common in adults. Those with Type 2 diabetes, obesity, sickle cell anemia, and kidney (renal) disease have an increased risk of developing gout. Drugs such as cyclosporine, thiazide diuretics (so-called "water pills"), and salicylates (aspirin, ASA) can interfere with uric acid excretion, as can excessive alcohol consumption. In rare instances, one may inherit a decreased ability to metabolize purines, thus having an increased tendency to develop gout. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors. Best of luck down the road of life. Take care, CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - b ☑Be well-informed American College of Rheumatology b GOUT What causes gout? www.rheumatology.org/public/factsheets/diseases_and_conditions/gout.asp Ezine articles b Are the Drugs You Take Causing Your Gout Attacks? ezinearticles.com/?Are-the-Drugs-You-Take-Causing-Your-Gout-Attacks?&id=1892625 ☞Healthwise Brief b Increase in uric acid - Gout Causes Medicines include some diuretics, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), lower doses of aspirin (75 to 100 mg daily), niacin, warfarin/Coumadin, cyclosporine, levodopa, tacrolimus, and some medicines used to treat leukemia, lymphoma, or tuberculosis. . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center