Skip to content
Premature Ventricular Contractions
opusOO7 posted:
:confused: I am a 46 year old male in relatively good shape. I work out twice a day but am on medication for HBP (one being a Beta Blocker). About a week ago, I started experiencing PVC's while at work. I noticed a fluttering in my chest and got hooked up to the monitor where some PVC's were observed. At first, we attributed it to the caffeine in the green tea I had been drinking so I didn't worry about it. The next day, I was still experiencing the same thing. Finally on Monday, I went to the ER - they did blood work checking my Potassium and Magnesium, chest X-Ray as well as an EKG. All looked fine. They did observe some PVC's on the monitor. I was released with advice to follow up with a cardiologist in a week or so. I already had a Dr.'s appt. with my PCP the following day. He did another EKG which was fine and ordered more blood work - wanting to check my Thyroid also (no results yet). He also wants to do a Holter Test. I told him that lately, I have noticed that I have a lot of indigestion with a feeling of having to burp constantly so he wants an Endoscopy done. It seems like I experience more problems with the PVC's after I eat. I get the full feeling and the pressure in my chest - the feeling like I have to burp. I have cut way back on food, eating very little and it seems to help. The PVC's come and go - some days I barely notice them, other days I fell numerous - some so strong they take your breath away. I do have a Hiatal Hernia also. I am wondering if this could be causing the PVC's as wll as all the other problems. Someone also told me they had the same sensations (minus the PVC's) when their Gall Bladder was bad. I can always tell when I have a PVC by the fluttering in my chest. If I happen to be taking my pulse, I can feel my pulse pause then resume. Has anyone every experienced things like this? Thanks.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "Told him that lately, I have noticed that I have a lot of indigestion with a feeling of having to burp...." b "It seems like I experience more problems with the PVCs after I eat." Some individuals have reported (on various message boards/forums) palpitations (premature atrial or ventricular contractions, PACs or PVCs), atrial fibrillation (AF), or tachyarrhythmias (tachycardia, supraventricular tachycardia/paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) being triggered off by indigestion, heartburn/acid reflux/GERD, swallowing (food or drink), gas, bloating, belching, burping, or coughing, or after a heavy meal/on a full stomach. These are known as indirect causes or an "reactive-arrhythmia". This may/can also be a side effect of some foods (which includes additives and preservatives), drinks, or drugs. ☞About PVCs The most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, occurs even in many ♥-healthy individuals), described that the heart is flip-flopping, fluttering, jumping, pausing or stopping briefly (though it's actually not doing that), pounding, skipping, thumping, or strong, hard, or forceful beats being felt in the chest, neck, throat, has various causes (cardiac and non-cardiac) or triggers. PVCs are typically harmless (benign), be it isolated (single), couplets (2-in-row), triplets (3-in-a-row) or salvos (short bursts of 3 or more in-a-row), bigeminy (occurring every other beat), trigeminy (occurring every third beat), quadrigeminy (occurring every fourth beat), etc., etc. HOWEVER, the main problem or concern (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) with PVCs is when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs. Also, non-sustained ventricular tachycardia (NSVT, runs of PVCs under 30 seconds, but typically not salvos) may/can become serious as well if it occurs frequently (episodes are grouped closely/tightly together). ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctor(s). Best of luck down the road of life. Take care, CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - b ☑Be well-informed Your Total Health - NBC/iVillage b Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) [Patient education guide> yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/premature-ventricular-contractions.html MedicineNet - We Bring Doctors' Knowledge to You b Palpitations (PACs, PVCs) www.medicinenet.com/Palpitations/article.htm eHealthMD b Palpitations www.ehealthmd.com/library/palpitations/PAL_whatis.html - - OptumHealth b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits Ten tips for making your visit to the doctor more effective. www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Health+Hubs/item/Making+the+Most+of+Your+Doctor+Visits HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a TWO WAY street...... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . b It's your future....be there. :-)

valkyriescream responded:
I also have a small Hiatal Hernia. Was diagnosed about 6 years ago. I dont really have any side effects from it. Just a full feeling after I eat a small mean. And I also have palpitations and other weird feelings in my heart since I was 21, I am now 30. I am still told today by doctors that it is anxiety and panic attacks. I was never told it was caused by the hernia, but i always wonder if it is.

opusOO7 responded:
:frown: I wish I knew. Until 2 weeks ago, I didn't have any problems whatsoever. I thought I was doing all the right things - running every morning then lifting weights or doing cardio in the afternoon. The suddenly, at work one day, I started feeling the fluttering in my chest. Luckily I work for Fire/EMS and a 12 lead monitor was readily available to show the PVC's. It is just strange that the same time they showed up, I started having major problems with my stomach. I know my Hiatal Hernia is acting up because I can feel pain just under my rib cage to my left side. Then again, I am having some Gall Bladder symptoms also. I asked my Dr. about working out, etc. and he said I could continue - but, "if it were him, he wouldn't start training for the Boston Marathon." As with most people, when doing physical exertion, I don't seem to notice the PVC's. I moved 20 loads of gravel the other night w/o problems and worked in the yard putting down timber, cutting grass, dumping mulch w/o problems. It is most noticeable when I am inactive, laying or sitting. I can think of no reason for the onset except for my HH or other stomach problems which I have had for years. I've been taking Prilosec OTC for a few years but may be time for more aggressive treatment? Thanks.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Health Central b ☛There are two types of esophageal hiatal hernia: paraesophageal and sliding. Symptoms from an uncomplicated paraesophageal hernia usually develop in adult life and may consist of a sense of pressure in the lower chest after eating and occasionally PALPITATIONS, due to cardiac arrhythmias. All of these are pressure phenomena, caused by the enlargement of the herniated gastric pouch when food displaces the fundic (stomach's) air bubble. www.healthcentral.com/encyclopedia/408/57.html WebMD b Hiatal hernia Most people do not experience any symptoms of their...... www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/hiatal-hernia eMedicine Consumer Health b Hiatal hernia See: Symptoms www.emedicinehealth.com/hiatal_hernia/article_em.htm . C☆

opusOO7 responded:
:smile: I tried an experiment today. I woke up at 5:45 and started working inside/outside right away. Around 7:00 AM I went to the grocery store and bought some Activa. Had 1 for breakfast, went outside and put together my son's swing set. Around 11, we went to Lowe's and a few othe stores. Got back at 2. Some friends came over. I didn't eat anything all day except the Activa. I did notice that I had a few PVC's - very minor compared to what I had been experiencing. Also, much less frequent. I actually had a very good day. Felt the best I have in the last couple weeks. I even had a Margaritta and a couple of beers. Last night, I started taking Gas X and Tums EX when I started feeling any discomfort. Also, I am watching what I eat, if anything, very carefully. At least I have something to tell my Dr.

hiatel responded:
Hey,
I have the the pulse issue also, and the fluttering. It gets me very anxious and scared. Iam without insurance, but im pretty sure my problem is Hiatal Hernia. What do i do. Its getting life pretty hard to deal with.

Please reply

Thanks from Russ

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center