Skip to content
stents placed in the groin and legs
pcarwyle posted:
my son is 26 yrs old. he has had dvt for about 4-5 yrs. the blood clots are so bad the drs could not get them out so they put stents in his groin and legs, 9 all together. his surgery was june 22, 2009. he is a heavy machine operator. the social workers think he should be on disibility. he was put on aristra 7.5 mil daily for the rest of his life. his legs and feet are still swollen, how long will it take for the swelling to go away? he had his surgery at umc in jackson,ms. they told us his life style would have to change after this procedure, but did not go into detail. can you give us some advice? thank you pam carwyle carwylecc@aol.com

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
It's unfortunately hard for me to make any guesses regarding his edema. With regards to lifestyle change, I'm also a bit unsure what they are referring to. A low salt diet is probably recommended, but I really suggest that you ask the doctors who take care of him specifically what they mean. Take care.

lw345 responded:
Hello Pam: My husband developed a number of large DVT's in the legs, groin and chest in November 2007. After a brief hospitalization, he was placed on coumadin - but had severe swelling in the most affected leg that didn't improve for over 6 weeks. Our GP didn't have any new ideas to relieve the swelling and restore his normal function - so I went online and learned about vascular interventional procedure. Paul also had stents inserted - I think there are 5 - but even tho the procedure was considered a success, his legs was still terribly swollen, red and disfigured. I went online again - learned that this is all quite normal. An overwhelming number of people who develop DVT's have abnormal swelling, discolor, itching, and limited use of the leg, or arm that was most affected by DVT. But there is a solution. In my online search, I learned about medical therapy called, lymphatic massage. It is conducted by a medical professional. Basically, the vascular trauma of DVT and treatment have damaged your son's lymph system - which is the cleansing system of the body. The licensed lymphatic therapist saw my husband 4-5 times a week at first - later tapered off to 2-3 times a week over 6 week period. After six weeks of therapy and bandage wrap (he wore at night while sleeping) and leg stocking - the leg was near normal size for the first time in months. We continued to wrap the leg for several months after the massages ended. He still wears the leg stocking during the day and sometimes at night. The swelling is completely gone. He exercises 5 times a day , wears shorts, golfs and has absolutely no pain or swelling. It was all covered under insurance - the therapist was recomended by our vascualr surgeon. I encourage you to check it out - hope it's helpful in getting your son back to good health! Good luck- LW345

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center