Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ARVD
12718bl posted:
I was recently diagnosed with ARVD in my early 60s. Doc said that is unusually late to get that diagnosis. I have two questions: 1) How long have I had ARVD -- since birth?? 2) Cardiologist just said to come back to see him in six months as my tests all came out really well. (Tests were: Holter for 24 hrs, SAECG [signal averaging>, Treadmill test, and Echocardiogram). So, I now I have this ARVD (fat infiltration into the heart muscle) but just "come back in six months". Does this mean I have nothing to worry about now and that I am not in danger since the tests came out well? I would almost rather not know I have it than to be left like this except for the fact that I can help my family knowing that it is genetic and that they can be checked for it, too. Thanks for any info you can provide.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "How long have I had ARVD -- since birth??" Can't determine for sure here. b "Does this mean I have nothing to worry about now and that I am not in danger since the tests came out well?" One would like to think so, though unfortunately, anything [medical> may/can change in a split-second. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors. Best of luck down the road of life. Take care, CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - b ☑Be well-informed Cleveland Clinic b Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia (ARVD) The cause of ARVD is unknown. It occurs in about 1 in 5,000 people. ARVD can occur with no family history, although often it runs in families. A family history of ARVD is present in at least 30 to 50 percent of cases. Therefore,..... ☞ARVD may also be related to non-genetic causes such as congenital abnormalities (affecting the right ventricle), viral or inflammatory myocarditis. my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/heartfailure/arvd.aspx Johns Hopkins Medicine ARVD www.arvd.com/genetics_of_arvd.html Your Total Health - iVillage/NBC b ARVD [Patient education guide> yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/arvd.html - - OptumHealth b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits Ten tips for making your visit to the doctor more effective. www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Health+Hubs/item/Making+the+Most+of+Your+Doctor+Visits HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a two way street...... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
Unfortunately, we can't know how long you have had it. But the good news is that all testing appears to place you in a lower risk group. Low risk doesn't mean "no risk," but your test results appear very encouraging.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center