Palpitations and Burping?
capndavenc posted:
I seem to be having heart palpitations, where it feels like it is skipping a beat. I have had them on and off for a few years, but they seem to be more constant recently. In addition, it seems that I am constantly having to burp. However, it doesn't seem like gas-type burping, but more like air burps -- if that makes any sense. When the burping starts, it seems like I have a fluttering sensation in my lower chest. Can these symptoms be related?

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

"Can these symptoms be related?"

It may/could be.

As applicable, some individuals have reported, palpitations (PACs, PVCs), atrial fibrillation (AF), or tachyarrhythmias (tachycardia, supraventricular tachycardia/paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) being triggered off by GERD/acid reflux/heartburn, swallowing (food or drink), gas, bloating, belching, burping, or coughing, or after a heavy meal/on a full stomach.

These are known as indirect causes or an "reactive-arrhythmia". This may/can also be a side effect of some foods (which includes additives and preservatives), drinks, or drugs. On the flip side, in some cases, belching, burping, or coughing may/can terminate/relieve an irregular heartbeat.

As applicable, the most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, occurs even in many ♥-healthy individuals), described that the heart is flip-flopping, fluttering, jumping, pausing or stopping briefly (though it's actually not doing that), pounding, skipping, thumping, or strong, hard, or forceful beats being felt in the chest, neck, throat, has various causes (cardiac and non-cardiac) or triggers.

PVCs are typically harmless (benign), be it isolated (single), couplets (2-in-row), triplets (3-in-a-row) or salvos (short bursts of 3 or more in-a-row), bigeminy (occurring every other beat), trigeminy (occurring every third beat), quadrigeminy (occurring every fourth beat), etc., etc.

"They seem to be more constant recently."

Medical rule-of-thumb, report ANY bothersome, concerning, troublesome, worrisome, worsening, or new symptom(s) to a/your doctor promptly.

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar☆

WebMD community member (8/99)

-

-

☑Be well-informed

As Applicable

Your Total Health - NBC/iVillage

Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs)

[Patient education guide>

yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/premature-ventricular-contractions.html

MedicineNet - We Bring Doctors' Knowledge to You

Palpitations (PACs, PVCs)

www.medicinenet.com/Palpitations/article.htm

eHealthMD

Palpitations

www.ehealthmd.com/library/palpitations/PAL_whatis.html

- - -

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Treatments and drugs. Prevention......

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the ☂ of......

www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images.

www.heartsite.com

- -

OptumHealth

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits

14 Tips to Make Your Doctor Visits a Success

www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Health+Hubs/item/Making+the+Most+of+Your+Doctor+Visits

HealingWell

You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango

Your medical care is a two way street......

www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

minpin20000 responded:
HI capndavenc, I see it has been a year since you posted, but I hope you get this. I am having your exact same symptoms for almost 2 years now.I was hoping you have maybe found some answers for what is causing this.For me it feels like my heart will flutter or skip a beat and when I burp it eases only for a second my heart does not always mess up when I get these burping spells but other times it is quite annoying.I don't have insurance and can't afford to run from doctor to doctor having a bunch of test run, the few times I have went they give me something for heartburn which is not a problem for me.My burps are like I am swallowing air and it puts pressure on my heart ,that's how it feels at times.But I am 37 and I don't think after 37 years I just start swallowing air and burping all the time.That is what my life has come to.Do I need a cardoligist,or gastrologist???????? Hope you can help of all the reasearch you sound more like me than anyone else I 've found.thanks

HeartBurn38 replied to minpin20000's response:
@minpin20000
I'm 41, and I have exactly what you describe. I seen 2 cardiologist so far.. they bot did ECG, both said my heart functions normal..

My skipping/flipping heart sensations gets worse (happens every few minutes) when i get on the treadmill for a mild walk.

these sensations freaks me out..

Question2010 replied to CardiostarUSA1's response:
Follow up question for the MD,

Does the trapped gas in our esophagus, produced by belching, press against the vagal (Vagas) nerve which may causes/trigger the heart fluttering?

Is there any connection to this?

If not, what is the connection between gas build up/pressure in our upper GI and the occasional heart palpitation (fluttering).

There is not much out there on this topic. Any insight from your GI and Cardiologist Doctors is greatly appreciated.

ellienor1511 replied to Question2010's response:
YES I think that is it cardio. usa.

When I over fill stomach, then later at night my heart takes off out of the blue to 130 bpm and lasts for one minute to one half hour or more. It goes even faster IF my stomach is irritated from orange juice, coffee, booz or just from eating too much.

My digestion Is impared a bit and so I need to eat small tiny meals ,, which is a pain in the butt. Any greeay stuff, or acid will cause my heart to race at night, which is awful.
Most of the time a good burp will put the heart back to normal. But sometimes not. Sometimes I need to just lay back and have hubby rub the shoulders and try to calm me down. Or I drink pepto bismal... or almond milk to coat the irritated stomach..

Nippers2 replied to ellienor1511's response:
I have been experiencing similar experiences since the mid 1990s. It was a very rare event, but lately, it has become a bit more frequent. Still fairly rare, though.

What happens to me is this: I feel an overwhelming need to burp, and then I feel like fainting. It feels like blood is being deprived to my brain. Most of the time it only seems to last for a few seconds and then it is over and I can go on about my business and not worry about it. But sometimes I feel like passing out-- my vision even starts to go black, I feel dizzy, and weak. Then within about 4 or 5 seconds, everything is back to normal, but I feel a bit tired and weak from the experience. I never completely blacked out or fainted.

I have been to see a doctor about it, but they want to run a lot of very expensive tests using x-rays and so forth, and I simply can't afford it. They have listened to my heart and said that my heart sounds fine.

I have learned to avoid the things which usually precede it: drinking too much coffee! and eating too fast! and eating too much food! Those seem to be the main triggers. If I avoid coffee, eat very slowly, and just eat a little bit of food at one time, I don't seem to have this problem.

And when I do have an episode of near fainting, it helps to at the very least sit down, and if possible, get down on the floor on my back. That makes it go away quickly.

My dad seems to have the same thing and his doctor called it supraventricular tachyarrhythmia and prescribed something called a Beta Blocker for him and he said that as long as he takes the Beta Blocker medication he does not have these fainting spells from burping.

I told my doctor this, and he still insisted that I have all the tests ran before he would prescribe beta blockers for me. I think I need to find a new doctor.

C_Grene responded:
Dear Capndavenc,
I have exact same symptoms that started about 5 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation which pretty much says that I do have an arrhythmia but the underlying cause is still unknown. I had to wear a holter device for 24 hours to be diagnosed. Beta-blockers that were prescribed are helping with symptoms first half of the day. I am more concerned that it might be something that pushes against the heart while food and gas are passing through esophagus (i.e. cancer), because my episodes almost always happen when I sit down (more when on the couch than at the table) and eat then when burp. These are the triggers. How did your case resolved? Please let me know. I hope you're feeling better.

C_Grene replied to minpin20000's response:
minpin20000:
I posted this note on here already but you seem to have exact symptoms I've been having. Any resolution? I hope you're feeling better. Please let me know. This is my note to original post:

Dear Capndavenc,
I have exact same symptoms that started about 5 weeks ago. I was diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation which pretty much says that I do have an arrhythmia but the underlying cause is still unknown. I had to wear a holter device for 24 hours to be diagnosed. Beta-blockers that were prescribed are helping with symptoms first half of the day. I am more concerned that it might be something that pushes against the heart while food and gas are passing through esophagus (i.e. cancer), because my episodes almost always happen when I sit down (more when on the couch than at the table) and eat then when burp. These are the triggers. How did your case resolved? Please let me know. I hope you're feeling better.

FeelingSick replied to C_Grene's response:
I have same symptoms, any news update?
  • Heart normally palpitates after any movement, playing video games, etc.
  • My heart palpitates when I lean on my left side or lie flat on my back.
  • After meals I burp a lot and feels like trapped air in my heart chamber
  • Tired and fatigued a lot.

sharon_wpl responded:
Exact same issue here,
Having to burp, Feels like it is skipping a beat
After a burp, some air is released, and it relief the symptoms for few seconds,

This symptoms come and go, it could be a week or few days with this weird feeling - then everything is normal for a while...

If anyone can shade more light on this, I will be happy!

I saw somewhere that some types of food like some types of tree nuts will do it, I will try to avoid tree nuts and post the results.

max74 replied to sharon_wpl's response:
Hi I'm having all the same symptoms, belching and frequent desire to belch after eating, but most concerning missed heart beats, coupled, tripled beats, very random. At first just laying down but the last couple of days it's been more and more frequent in the day, walking, sitting at anytime. Ive had an ECG (3) and an echo, the echo was good. The last time, the doctor observed the arrhythmia on the monitor which was good.I've had a monitor for a week and two nights ago a rep from life watch called to ask me how I was, she said my heart rate had been in the 30's with a couple of pauses of 3.4 seconds. Great! I'm fortunate to be living outside Baltimore for a few months and one of my only friends in the area is involved at Johns Hopkins. So in 20 days I have an appointment to go over the halter results with the head cardiologist (and head of the American heart institute). I'm grateful to be getting his opinion and will be sure to share what he says afterwards on this board. Good luck to all...