Skip to content
cleaning your arteries
spjackso posted:
Hello ev1. we all here about arteries clogging and causing heart attacks and strokes.most doctors and others like to use the analogy of arties are like pipes that collect build up like calcium or rust.but normal pipes can be treated periodically with lime remover, clr,liquid plummer. etc etc.and then they are as good as new again.my question is is there a supplement or vitamins you can take that will actually work in the same manner. or do you pretty much have to wait until you drop from a heart attack or stroke. i have been hearing so much crap lately that im totally confused. i heard vitamin K vitamin b6 omega 3,6,9 and now CoQ10. can anyone help me b4 i have a heart attack from the confusion. thanks ev1 for listening and be safe :confused:

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "Most doctors and others like to use the analogy...." This is true. It has been reported, that in some individuals, it's possible to halt or even reverse atherosclerotic plaque in the coronary arteries to some degree, through lifestyle changes, statin-therapy (typically high-dose as seen in clinical trials), strict or specialized diet (e.g., Ornish), exercise regimen, and stress management. Back in 4/07, in animal studies, it showed that high levels of vitamin K resulted in a 37% reduction in calcium buildup in the arteries. This first-in-animals study also showed that decreased arterial elasticity can be reversed as well. Of course, what works well in animals does not mean that it will translate into a clinical benefit in humans. Vitamin K is found in many kinds of foods, and is also available in dietary supplement form, though in some cases, this can do more harm than good (due to side effects or interactions with drugs, e.g., Coumadin). Also, in a small clinical trial, ApoA-1 Milano, significantly and non-invasively (via IV), reversed/regressed atherosclerotic plaque in the coronary arteries. Doctors/researchers measured arterial plaques using invasive catheter-based intravascular ultrasound before and after the 6 week Cleveland Clinic-directed study. Those who were given the synthetic protein ("Super synthetic HDL") showed a dramatic decrease in arterial plaques, whereas a comparison group given a placebo (saline) showed no change in plaques, as reported back in November 2003 in JAMA, which was also reported in the nation-wide media. Update! b Apo A1-Milano Trial: Where are we now? A study that appeared in the Nov. 5, 2003 edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) provided strong evidence that.... www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/news/hot/hdlapoa1.asp Additionally, the final results of various long-since been completed investigational studies showed that dreaded coronary artery disease (CAD) can be slowed, stopped or reversed (regressed) in some individuals. CLAS I and II (Cholesterol Lowering Atherosclrosis Study I & II) used a drug regimen of niacin and Colestid (colestipol) and the outcome was reported as a decreased progression of atherosclerosis with end point regression in 16% of individuals. Familial Atherosclerosis Treatments study (FATS), used the same drug regimen with a reported outcome of regression of CAD with end point reduction in cardiovascular events. The University of California-San Francisco Specialized Center of Research used a drug regimen of colestipol and Mevacor (statin) with a reported outcome of regression of CAD with no other end point. Other studies (long-since completed) have l@@ked at stand-alone high dose statin therapy (aggressive approach) which showed in some individuals a slight reduction (of (plaque burden) of atherosclerosis as imaged with non-invasive Electron Beam Computed Tomgraphy as evident by a lower coronary artery calcium score. PET scans were also used in some studies to show an increase in blood flow to the heart muscle in response to non-interventional (no catheter-based or surgical based procedures) treatment. L@@K Back Cleveland Clinic Heart & Vascular Institute b Intensive Cholesterol Lowering With Atorvastatin Halts Progression Of Heart Disease, Cleveland Clinic-Led Study Shows - 3/2/04 'REVERSAL' Trial The REVERSAL trial, compared the highest doses available at the time of two popular statin drugs, pravastatin and atorvastatin.... ☞"When we analyzed the results of REVERSAL, we realized that we had found an approach to coronary disease treatment that could literally stop heart disease in its tracks?.... www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/news/archive/2004/reversal5_2.asp Take care, CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/9

spjackso responded:
thanks for the reply i did some research on the info you provided me on vitamin k and i found alot of benefits with vitamin k and vitamin c but unlike vitamin c which is water soluble i read vitamin k is fat soluble and can be toxic to the body if to much is taken. is this true and do you know a daily amount to take that is safe 50000 iu 75000 iu etc.etc. also what do you think abount the other supplents i mentioned before like the omegas and the CoQ10. do these work for the heart and arteries as well. also do you know how one can sign up for clinical studies. again thank you very much for your expertice and input.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
You're welcome. :-) For further research and to help answer (also be sure to communicate/interact well with your doctors) your questions in general, check out - Life Clinic b Vitamin K www.lifeclinic.com/focus/nutrition/vitamin-k.asp AND WholeHealthMD Supplements b Vitamin K www.wholehealthmd.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=17E09E7CFFF640448FFB0B4FC1B7FEF0&nm=Reference+Library&type=AWHN_Supplements&mod=Supplements&mid=&id=6820746FBF7043F78FE047CB58367FC2&tier=2 b Omega-3 fatty acids www.wholehealthmd.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=17E09E7CFFF640448FFB0B4FC1B7FEF0&nm=Reference+Library&type=AWHN_Supplements&mod=Supplements&mid=&id=034025EFA41345DA9594F677FD339F55&tier=2 b Omega-6 fatty acids www.wholehealthmd.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=17E09E7CFFF640448FFB0B4FC1B7FEF0&nm=Reference+Library&type=AWHN_Supplements&mod=Supplements&mid=&id=BD5CF1DF38044FBFB58C5BFB72B262D1&tier=2 b Coenzyme Q10 www.wholehealthmd.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=17E09E7CFFF640448FFB0B4FC1B7FEF0&nm=Reference+Library&type=AWHN_Supplements&mod=Supplements&mid=&id=F32F1AB4B501450B873DB377CF40CA9B&tier=2 Additionally, search for heart disease prevention/heart condition-related clinical trials at - www.clinicaltrials.gov Take good care, C☆ - - b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. b ☛WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
At the current time, high dose statin therapy is your best bet to reduce significant progression of coronary artery disease in addition to managing blood pressure and stopping smoking. Unfortunately, there are no treatments in common practice that will "clean out" your arteries - that would be awesome, but we're just not there yet. There are some investigational treatments (see Cardiostar's post) but they're not quite ready for prime time.

missyf321 responded:
statins can have side effects,even though natural products can have effects thats 1 in 1000 to conventional meds so i would suggest all though im not a Doctor,i have done extensive research in this area and have found chelation therapy,folic acid 1mg,b-12 injection you can get from practicly any Doctor,selenium,and protandim,each play a significant role in cardio care.these are my own supplements i add daily.b-12 and folic are good for keeping your homocysteine levels in check ,and the rest fight free radicals,and support the heart,also aspirin if you don't have ulcers,and excercise and a rainbow diet.now every Dr knows this ,but there not going to tell the general public this because there would be no prescriptions to feel,then what happens to the DRS and pharmacys,would be catastophic;)))) be well and live your life to the fullest.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
Lots of research on the topic, but an unfortunately simple bottom line. While high dose statin therapy can reduce the progression of coronary artery plaque and even reduce it a very tiny bit, there are no supplements or medications that 'clean you out' in the way I think you are alluding to. Risk factor modification and treatment have been shown to reduce the risk of heart attacks, however - and this is the major clinical endpoint we're trying to get after...so there's still lots of opportunities to make a difference!!!

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center