Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Post-prandial info
Hanawaiman6358 posted:
Here is an article I found interesting. I love fruit smoothies so I think this applies to me. I love all kinds of smoothies. The article is from the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/full/51/3/249

jc3737 responded:
The link did not take...try again.

Hanawaiman6358 replied to jc3737's response:
http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/full/51/3/249

Hope this works. I just copied and paste the link. It is not a hyperlink.

jc3737 replied to Hanawaiman6358's response:
Try again,then check to see if the link works.

Hanawaiman6358 replied to jc3737's response:
I copied and pasted the address and it worked for me. Hmm . . .

Try googling this:
Dietary Strategies for Improving Post-Prandial Glucose, Lipids, Inflammation, and Cardiovascular Health James H. O'Keefe, MD*, Neil M. Gheewala, MS andJoan O. O'Keefe, RD

J Am Coll Cardiol, 2008; 51:249-255,

twinb63 replied to Hanawaiman6358's response:
The web address worked for me too; interesting article, thanks Hanawai.

jc3737 replied to Hanawaiman6358's response:
Got it....great article....interesting that risk begins to rise at levels above 80.Who in the world has post prandial glucose level of 80?

I thought my 124 was good but apparently that level carries elevated risk.So what is a good level....in the 80s?????

xring replied to jc3737's response:
Risk rises at levels above 80?

Well, in that case, we're all in big trouble.

Including all non diabetics.

I've tested several non diabetics at their request. ALL were above 80 regardless of when they last ate.

My average is around 130. My A1c has been 6.0% for the past year w/o any meds. My doctor says that's "perfect." A non diabetic A1c is 4 - 6%.

NO ONE has normal post prandial glucose levels of 80. That would mean they're hypoglycemic most of the time. If they're driving, I'm taking flying lessons.
Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see. - John Lennon -

EngineerGuy replied to xring's response:
Hi folks,

WoW What an excellent article.

http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/full/51/3/249#FIG3

Everything it says to do, to improve post prandial glucose levels, and reduce inflammation, we do, in the Fuhrman program. Lots of veggies. Cut out the processed foods. A great deal of beneficial info on nuts, also.

Don't be hung up on the 80's level post prandial. Nobody is there, except maybe the calorie restrictionists who cut calories by 30%, and look like Auswitch escapees. They live longer, but sacrifice life in the mean time. I considered that myself, for about 30 seconds. But on the bright side, being as lean (and muscular) as Fuhrman recommends, is at the beginning of the calorie restriction regime, with life extension benefits (according to Lisa Walford - The Longevity Diet) (10% less weight than baseline - young adulthood).

Best regards, EngineerGuy

xring replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Hey, EG.

Believe it or not, I have heard one or two diabetics say they're around 80 most of the time. I think they're heavy drinkers who can't tell truth from fiction.

jc3737 replied to xring's response:
Keep in mind that risk begins to rise at blood pressure levels above 110/70 which very few people have after the age of 45.

And I mean non-medicated bllod pressure of 110/70.Bringing it down that low with medication actually increases the stroke and heart attack rate.

So many of my friends tell me how low their blood pressure is... thinking that low numbers mean lower risk...

...that only true if the low blood pressure is natural.

xring replied to jc3737's response:
Yup, same thing happens with diabetes. Some are directed to keep their blood sugar levels abnormally low to prevent complications. That requires extensive medications which raise their risk of many of those same complications diabetics already have.

dtms1 replied to xring's response:
When you say post prandial, what is the time period you are talking about?

I have tried the Zone method of using fats (olive oil) with a meal. The article cited and Sears both say that post prandial numbers are lower when oil is added. However, I found that they are lower at the one and two hour point but the sugar level rises at the three and four hour point. All the oil (and I guess any other fat) does is postpone the high rise in blood sugar not eliminate it. So instead of having a low blood sugar by the time you are ready for your next meal, the blood sugar is actually higher due to the delay. So at your next meal you are starting out at a higher number. And fat causes insulin resistance.

Dolores

jc3737 replied to dtms1's response:
I have tried all different time frames and I usually run about 125 on average after a meal.I wonder how accurate these home test units are.My doctor gets lower readings than I do.Fasting is around 97 but my doctor gets 84.Maybe the difference is that I get up and moving and by the time I get blood drawn its usually around 8:00 AM two hours later than I take it.

What I have learned from your personal experience is that its fat not carbs that really affect blood glucose and that fruit does not raise blood glucose(You have two pieces at each meal)...and that fruit actually helps blood glucose stay stable and low...along with vegetables.Did I get that right?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with diabetes in March of 2007. Ever since then I've been slowly losing weight, exercising and eating as healthy as I can. Thanks ...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.