Skip to content
Esselstyn in the American Journal of Cardiology
EngineerGuy posted:
Hi folks,

This is a MUST READ. :-)

Here is the most amazing article I have seen in decades, in present day medical literature. Dr. Esselstyn shows that modern medical treatment of heart disease only treats the symptoms of the disease, and that lifestyle is the cure. Background that is not in the article: Dr. Esselstyn was the number one producer at the Cleveland Clinic for 18 months, as a breast surgeon. (He produced more money for the Cleveland Clinic than any other doctor, for 18 months). He eventually became dissatisfied with his work, performing thousands of mastectomies. He was not satisfied that he was helping all these women. He searched for a medical effort that he was certain was helping his patients. That's when he started his heart disease study, which ultimately became the best treatment for heart disease ever medically documented, including any drugs or surgery.

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/09/is-the-present-therapy-for-coronary-artery-disease-the-radical-mastectomy-of-the-twenty-first-centur.html

Best regards, EngineerGuy

twinb63 responded:
You kiddin' me? I read your reference then checked out the original, what with you being from Salt Lake and all. Lo and behold, there it is in the Am J Card: Volume 106, Issue 6, Pages A1-A30, 757-910 (15 September 2010)

You're right EG, the most amazing thing - an editorial yet! Can't wait to see the replies, probably will be either 'benign' neglect or straw man attacks. This Esselstyn fella has to be something to see in person, bigger 'n life probably. Thanks for passing this on. Joe.

EngineerGuy replied to twinb63's response:
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reference.

Re: "what with you being from Salt Lake and all."

LOL :-) I'm just a transplant, but I do like Salt Lake very much.

Esselstyn got an olympic gold medal, years ago, in rowing, with his college team.

Here's a 62 minute video of Esselstyn from 2003 Vegsource conference, discussing reversing heart disease.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Caldwell-Esselstyn-Jr/12809433998

twinb63 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
I'll watch that video this afternoon, you find some real gems. So Esselstyn was a rower & Fuhrman an ice skater, both Olympians, cool. I've been in Salt Lake several times, nice city & easy to find your way around; just kidding you about that. I remember one summer going to the Lake during a drought about 7 yrs. ago; walked down to the shore which was black with fleas, then walked out toward the water about 50 yards & those things were stinging me & my shoes & pants were covered with them. Not a pleasant memory but I remember tasting the water which seemed saltier than the ocean.

Been wanting to ask, when you learned about Fuhrman & changed from Pritikin's approach, did you ever see him in person or consult by phone, or just read his books & join his website? Im finding I need a kick in the ass to be 100% compliant with his recommendations.

Hi Joe,

Yes, the Salt Lake is not always pleasant. It runs 3 to 6 times saltier than the ocean, depending on how high or low the lake is, due to evaporation and rainfall. Recalling that a person can drown in a bathtub, the easiest way to ensure you don't drown in the lake, is to tie a brick to your foot. That way, you float with your head up.

By the way, I did see Nathan Pritikin once, when I visited Santa Barbara, and by coincidence I could see his Tuesday evening discussion, open to the public.

Thanks for asking. I read Fuhrman's books and joined his website.

Many people evolve into the program, and others jump all in. I evolved into the program. I became strict when I saw that being "pretty strict", was not good enough to meet my health goals, with my heredity. My kick in my butt was that realization. However, I still look forward to breaking the diet occasionally. So, I'm strict when left to my own devices, but don't worry about breaking it on social occasions or traveling. After a couple meals way off the diet, I really feel it, and want to get back on the diet. If I find this interfering with meeting my health goals, then I'll change that.

It's tough at times. If everyone else is pulling out a bowl of ice cream, that't tough. Never feel guilty about breaking the diet. Enjoy the heck out of it. Just insist that you go back on the diet the next meal. Feel bloated and awful after breaking the diet? Great. Then you've had the best of both worlds. You enjoyed breaking the diet, and you reinforced why we follow this diet.

Basically, we need to have huge faith in the program, that this will improve our health in wonderful ways. And, we must INSIST to ourselves, that we want this for ourselves, for our benefit, for our happiness. How much health do we wish to sacrifice for the momentary pleasure of eating rich foods? My choice, for myself, is that I don't want to sacrifice any health.

For the first month, it takes lots of will power.

If you are meeting your health goals with partial compliance, that's good enough. Why not? It all depends on our heredity and health goals.

I can get in trouble if I start to take for granted that I will be healthy, and I can do little cheats, and a few more cheats, and then crave to break the diet all the time. But usually, it's quite easy for me, after all this time. I enjoy the food, especially when I am hungry (and part of the program is getting hungry between meals, so that fits great). I love feeling great. I keep my feelings to myself, when I scoff at others suffering through colds. Obviously I am not immune to disease, but I feel like I am.

I try to be informative to others that this lifestyle is an option, and works. (That's why Esselstyn's article and Bill Clinton's link are so important.) When others get sick or have issues, I absolutely do NOT remind them that my program will help them. I've learned that is a wonderful way to totally turn of a person. I am sympathetic, and wish them a speedy recovery.

twinb63 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Thanks for the insight into your approach to health. Us wishy-washy types sometimes need some grounding in common sense & reality.

Hi Twin,

Re: Thanks for the insight into your approach to health. Us wishy-washy types sometimes need some grounding in common sense & reality.

LOL. Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it very much.

If you are meeting your health goals, you are on a perfect program.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have severe atherosclerosis with ectasiac (long, stretched out) sections, small aneurysms in primary cardiac arteries. I am blessed to also have ...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.