Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chinese food
AttyWSW posted:
I'm trying to get back on Dr. F's plan. I love Chinese food. I know it is high in sodium but are there any good choices? This week I've eaten the mixed vegetables with white rice. I figured the white rice was better than fried. I know, I should skip the rice altogether. Just wanting suggestions that allows me some Chinese. Maybe once or twice a week??. Thanks!

deadmanwalking57 responded:
We went to PF Chang for a birthday dinner Wednesday. I could not detect the excess salt. But there was so much it spiked my blood pressure, I could hardly sleep, and had to take a day off work because I was too tired to function the next day.

Skip the Chinese, since so much is salty or fried.

Steamed or baked dishes are OK. Be very careful of the sauces. Tell the waitress you need to adhere to a very low salt diet.

engineerguy responded:
Hi AttyWSW,

PF Changs has steamed brown rice available, if I am not mistaken.

Yes, as DMW suggested, tell the waiter that you are on a low sodium diet. But it is always difficult in a restaurant. What the waiter thinks is low sodium, may not be what you think is low sodium.

PF Changs also has a steamed veggie dish. Ask for it to be steamed with no salt added. They'll be happy to do it for you.

As a suggestion, make the Chinese once every other week. Once or twice a week, depending on your circumstances, may be a lot.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

AttyWSW replied to engineerguy's response:
There's no PF Chang's here. Just your ordinary run of the mill Chinese. I think the choices are fried rice or white rice. I'm going to ask for steamed veggies with no sauce. We'll see if that satisfies my hankering.

josvin84 replied to AttyWSW's response:
You could try cooking a chinese meal at home. Steaming veggies or a quick stir-fry with very little oil is not difficult and does not require much cooking time.

Spotlight: Member Stories

55 year old male. Ex marathon runner and still an all around jock. I run, lift weights, yoga and box. I was a proud carnivore for 55 years. Few co...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.