Skip to content
Acorn Squash - Yummy !
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

BTW, On the Politics forum, I posted about health insurance companies and the new health care reform. Interesting.

I just experimented with a new way (OK, new for me - most any way to cook is new for me.) to cook acorn squash.

Just like yams or sweet potatoes. Wash. Stab it with a knife so it won't explode. Put on a cookie sheet or aluminum foil on the oven rack. Bake at 350 degrees for about 2 hours. Wait for it to ooze gooey stuff.

I have been steaming the squash. Baking it is much sweeter. I also tried a butter nut squash. That was also good, but the acorn squash was quite sweet.

The butter nut squash had a bit of a french fry flavor by the skin, where it was browned a bit.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

AttyWSW responded:
E.G.,

I took your advice and bought a butter nut squash. I was a little more civilized and cut it in two, took out the seeds and covered each half with foil. Baked at 350 for about an hour and a half. Ate half at lunch today. Not bad at all. Might put a little in my green soothie in the am. Thanks!

AttyWSW

twinb63 responded:
I'm with you on baking the acorn squash (and others) rather than steaming EG. In the old days we ate it with butter & brown sugar but now plain is the way to go for me, nutmeg or cinnamon for my better half. Our taste buds really are adaptable, especially with whole foods.

engineerguy replied to AttyWSW's response:
Hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback.

I suggest only stabbing the squash so it doesn't explode. Slicing the squash will prevent it from getting as warm and as sweet. Just my input.

AttyWSW replied to engineerguy's response:
E.G.,

Since your posting on the squash I have been eating them almost daily. I have experimented cooking them your way verses cut in half with foil and cannot detect any difference in taste. I have also tried Sweet Dumpling squash which was also very good. Also, Buttercup which was not as sweet but tasty with some cinnamon and Equal. I have taken the seeds out of these and planted them so we'll see if I can grow them. Love the Acorns though. Thanks!

engineerguy replied to AttyWSW's response:
Hi AttyWSW,

Thanks for the great info, and glad you like the squash. It's new to me, too.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.