Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The old Ornish board member
twinb63 posted:
On the previous Ornish board there was an older guy nicknamed Burgess or Aristotle something or other who had his own website focusing on inflammation/heart disease/ treatments. Can't recall much information about him except for that. Anyway, I wanted to contact him about foods that fight inflammation, but don't know how to get hold of him. Anyone know who I mean & how to get in touch with him? Alternatively, anyone have info about specific foods that help fight inflammation?

Thanks, Joe.

jc3737 responded:
http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=980

Ask this guy about inflammation.He goes by HV but his real name is James.It's his web site.

twinb63 replied to jc3737's response:
Thanks jc.

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi twin63,

Some additional info.

While many foods do contribute to inflammation reduction, the most effective modality is a high nutrient, low calorie diet. In other words, Dr. Fuhrman's program. Weight loss is also very important. Happily, it all works into the same program. The very foods that reduce inflammation, are the same foods that are high nutrient, low calorie foods. These same super foods are barely effective, if simply added to a SAD diet. (I know you know that, but this is for those that may be reading.)

Another important modality is to cut out snacks. When the body has finished digesting, and is drawing from it's reserves, the metabolic environment is very anti-inflammatory. Healing is quickened. So, eat 2 or 3 meals daily. Professional athletes eat 4 meals a day. (Folks, believe me. I ate 6 meals a day for 30 years, because it was "healthy". Now I've been eating 3 meals a day (2 on weekends) for 2 years, and it's much better.)

I agree to learn of foods that are anti-inflammatory. You'll see that these are the same foods recommended on the Fuhrman program. Some authorities recommend olive oil as anti-inflammatory. This is completely wrong, and based on comparison with worse diets.

Read the case histories on Dr. Fuhrman's website

http://www.drfuhrman.com/success/success.aspx

and case histories on his new website

https://www.nutritionalresearch.org/case-studies

Hope this helps.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

twinb63 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Yes it does help, thanks EG.

dtms1 responded:
twin, I have a book by Richard Fleming, M.D., called Stop Inflammation Now. It is in my public library and yours might have it too. I got my paper back copy at the bookstore. It is very similar to fuhrman. There are recipes and sample menus in the book. He recommends soy which apparently is controversial (but whole foods not isolates I think). It might be worth a trip to the library. He gives food sources of the various nutrients which are supposed to fight inflammation. However he does recommend a bit of olive oil.

Dolores

twinb63 replied to dtms1's response:
Thanks D, I'll order it from my library. I don't know what to make of the conflicting research/discussions of soy. I'm being treated for hypothyroidism so I usually don't eat it. As for olive oil, generally I stay away from it but I do eat the occasional olive, salty though they are. Joe.

twinb63 replied to twinb63's response:
I knew I had that Burgess guy's website somewhere, found it tonight in one of my bookmarks:

http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com/2010/07/what-do-i-eat.html

As far as I can tell, he's at the far end of the spectrum with what he can & cannot eat that keeps him healthy. He hasn't given up the quest either, that's admirable. Joe.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have severe atherosclerosis with ectasiac (long, stretched out) sections, small aneurysms in primary cardiac arteries. I am blessed to also have ...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.