Skip to content
IMT and EndoPAT to track your program
EngineerGuy posted:
Hi folks,

Dr. Fuhrman is now recommending IMT and EndoPAT as harmless, non-invasive ways to track your progress.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/early_cardio_detection.aspx

IMT is an ultrasound of the carotid arteries, completely harmless, just like a baby ultrasound. I've had 4 of them, over the last 8 years, and I'll get another one in about a year. I got worse in a prior IMT test, and it showed that I was going the wrong way, instead of improving. It agreed with the VAP cholesterol check. The last test, just over a year ago, showed I had improved. If the test a year from now shows that I am still doing well, then I will feel confident I'm doing well, and won't need any more tests.

I hadn't heard of the EndoPAT test.

http://wiki.medpedia.com/EndoPat

These two tests can allow you to track your progress. The IMT test can be found in probably any big city.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy responded:
I forgot to add about EndoPAT

"What they found was that 49% of patients whose EndoPAT test indicated poor endothelial function had a cardiac event during the seven-year study. which was more than the usual Framingham risk score could have predicted;"

dtms1 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
So. does this mean that 51% of the patients who had a poor EndoPat result did not have cardiac disease, or had it but did not have a cardiac event, or did not have clogged arteries but tested poorly?

Dolores

EngineerGuy replied to dtms1's response:
Hi Dolores,

I'm assuming that the EndoPAT machine is good enough, so if the result is bad, the person really has unhealthy endothelium.

So, the 51% likely had problems with their arteries, but did not have a cardiac event.

After one really high fat meal, the endothelial response is diminished. I believe the EndoPAT test results could change pretty quickly, in probably a couple weeks, for healthy people. Perhaps for people with really bad arteries, it would take years to improve.

For example, a high sodium diet increases blood pressure immediately, by producing edema (water retention), to dilute the sodium, which raises blood pressure. This is quickly reversible (in a few days). Sodium also increases bp by hardening the arterioles (the small arteries). This takes decades to reverse.

twinb63 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
I haven't heard of EndoPAT either. The only finger probe I've had measures the amount of oxygen in my blood. I'll research this test to see what I can find. Joe.

twinb63 replied to twinb63's response:
Ya learn something new everyday. A search of the web produced a number of citations about this test.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=aaplw&p=endopat

Approved for use in 2003, it's used as EG said to assess people in low to medium risk categories for endothelial dysfunction. Perhaps the result can be a 'shot across the bow' for some folks who are headed for a potential cardiac event unless they change their lifestyles. How many will heed the warning is another topic for another thread.

Spotlight: Member Stories

55 year old male. Ex marathon runner and still an all around jock. I run, lift weights, yoga and box. I was a proud carnivore for 55 years. Few co...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.