Skip to content
IMT and EndoPAT to track your program
EngineerGuy posted:
Hi folks,

Dr. Fuhrman is now recommending IMT and EndoPAT as harmless, non-invasive ways to track your progress.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/early_cardio_detection.aspx

IMT is an ultrasound of the carotid arteries, completely harmless, just like a baby ultrasound. I've had 4 of them, over the last 8 years, and I'll get another one in about a year. I got worse in a prior IMT test, and it showed that I was going the wrong way, instead of improving. It agreed with the VAP cholesterol check. The last test, just over a year ago, showed I had improved. If the test a year from now shows that I am still doing well, then I will feel confident I'm doing well, and won't need any more tests.

I hadn't heard of the EndoPAT test.

http://wiki.medpedia.com/EndoPat

These two tests can allow you to track your progress. The IMT test can be found in probably any big city.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy responded:
I forgot to add about EndoPAT

"What they found was that 49% of patients whose EndoPAT test indicated poor endothelial function had a cardiac event during the seven-year study. which was more than the usual Framingham risk score could have predicted;"

dtms1 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
So. does this mean that 51% of the patients who had a poor EndoPat result did not have cardiac disease, or had it but did not have a cardiac event, or did not have clogged arteries but tested poorly?

Dolores

EngineerGuy replied to dtms1's response:
Hi Dolores,

I'm assuming that the EndoPAT machine is good enough, so if the result is bad, the person really has unhealthy endothelium.

So, the 51% likely had problems with their arteries, but did not have a cardiac event.

After one really high fat meal, the endothelial response is diminished. I believe the EndoPAT test results could change pretty quickly, in probably a couple weeks, for healthy people. Perhaps for people with really bad arteries, it would take years to improve.

For example, a high sodium diet increases blood pressure immediately, by producing edema (water retention), to dilute the sodium, which raises blood pressure. This is quickly reversible (in a few days). Sodium also increases bp by hardening the arterioles (the small arteries). This takes decades to reverse.

twinb63 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
I haven't heard of EndoPAT either. The only finger probe I've had measures the amount of oxygen in my blood. I'll research this test to see what I can find. Joe.

twinb63 replied to twinb63's response:
Ya learn something new everyday. A search of the web produced a number of citations about this test.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=aaplw&p=endopat

Approved for use in 2003, it's used as EG said to assess people in low to medium risk categories for endothelial dysfunction. Perhaps the result can be a 'shot across the bow' for some folks who are headed for a potential cardiac event unless they change their lifestyles. How many will heed the warning is another topic for another thread.

Spotlight: Member Stories

55 year old male. Ex marathon runner and still an all around jock. I run, lift weights, yoga and box. I was a proud carnivore for 55 years. Few co...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful