Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
fuhrman and diabetes
dtms1 posted:
I have to take issue with fuhrman when he says that diabetes disappears on his diet. I think it is more likely that the symptoms of diabetes like high blood sugars and other syndrome x symptoms disappear.

A non diabetic can eat things like fats, sweets, lots of meat, white flour etc and not have blood sugar rise very high. If I did that I would be in trouble even though my symptoms have disappeared on a good diet. I think it is like alcoholism. An alcoholic can abstain from alcohol for years yet still has to be careful because one drink could mean a binge.

Dolores

xring responded:
I also don't believe diabetes can be "cured." When Dr. Fuhrman says "Someone is no longer diabetic" or "Becomes undiabetic," I think he means having a non-diabetic A1c without medication or insulin.

At my lab tests 3 months after starting Dr. Fuhrman's program, my doctor (who didn't know I was following Dr. Fuhrman's program, or that I had stopped taking diabetes medications) told me "Your A1c is 6.0% which is non diabetic." I didn't take that to mean I was cured....only that my diet & lifestyle was keeping it in remission or reversal. I'm sure I could spike my blood sugar by having some apple pie a-la-mode or a few slices of bread.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi Dolores,

Hi Xring,

Yes, going back onto the diet that caused the diabetes, would bring it back. But why does one person get diabetes, when another with apparently the same lifestyle doesn't?

Heredity is certainly a factor. Luck is likely another, as viruses are suspected in some cases. There is a huge amount of variation, from person to person, for diabetes.

Some experts think that if we live long enough, all of us will become diabetic, on the SAD.

My Dad died of diabetes, and I believe I am susceptible to it.

I expect that you are right, that the diabetes would return pretty quickly, if returning to the SAD. Is this our cross to bear, that we can never enjoy the SAD, like "normal" people? No, I think we enjoy our diet, and enjoy retaining our youth, while others are decrepitating. I think we enjoy a stronger immune system, and improving strength and vitality. Of course no lifestyle confers immortality, but I feel like it does.

We enjoy the SAD once in a while, but we'll enjoy life a lot longer and happier, if we forego the momentary pleasure of rich foods most of the time.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

dtms1 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Decrepitating. What a word, EG. First you scared me into laying off the salt and now I have to stop everything and go out and run around the block.
And it isn't even six in the morning. And it's cold and dark outside. I feel myself decrepitating even as I write and it isn't pretty.

Dolores

DeadManWalking57 replied to dtms1's response:
Dolores,

You know you need to warm-up first before you run around the block ! Just step up and down from a chair for 30 minutes, or do chair squats slowly for 30 minutes, and stay out of the cold.

dtms1 replied to DeadManWalking57's response:
thanks for the advice, Dead.
Dolores

dtms1 replied to dtms1's response:
Oops. Forgot to say that cold air causes the blood vessels to contract. In bitter cold, windy weather a couple of years ago I was rapidly walking from the parking lot into church and had terrible chest pains. You should pull your scarf up over your nose and mouth to warm the air you are breathing and that will prevent the chest pain. I have a nice long scarf my daughter in law crocheted for me and can wrap it so I can pull a couple of layers over my nose and mouth.

D

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have severe atherosclerosis with ectasiac (long, stretched out) sections, small aneurysms in primary cardiac arteries. I am blessed to also have ...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.