Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
B12
DoloresTeresa posted:
I was just listening to an esselstyn interview and he said a B12 supplement was necessary. I thought I heard him say he takes 1000 micrograms a day but this can't be right because the FDA says 6 micrograms a day is the DV or daily value for B12. However, the RDA for adults is 2.4 micrograms. Does anyone know if we should be taking 2.4 micrograms or 6 micrograms of B12?

Essylstyn is against using animal products to get B12. On the other hand if I throw a can of minced clams into the twelve quarts of soup I usually make at one time (and eat throughout the week), I will probably get enough B12 with a very minimal amount of animal protein-- about three or four ounces spread out over several days. I would not even need to add any sockeye salmon a couple of times a week if I chose not to. I personally think that eating a can of minced clams a week and two ounces of canned sockeye salmon a couple of times a week is so minimal in fat and animal protein on a weekly bases that it is worth it to get the zinc, Vitamin D, omega threes and B12 without resorting to supplements. Even the very heart healthy tarahumara indians which both pritikin and esselstyn point out as examples of plant eaters, eat trapped squirrel and other game on occasion. It is not true that they rely entirely on plants.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with diabetes in March of 2007. Ever since then I've been slowly losing weight, exercising and eating as healthy as I can. Thanks ...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.