Skip to content
Beet Juice - Miracle ?
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

Is beet juice a miracle? It really appears to be very valuable. People need less oxygen when exercising, drinking beet juice, in a randomized controlled study. Pretty amazing.

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2010/12/study-beetroot-juice-improves-cardiovascular-health.html

Eggplant is also high in nitrates. Eggplant has been listed as very valuable for people with high blood pressure.

My take? Imagine if we ate lots of vegetables, beans, fruit, nuts and seeds, starchy vegetables, some whole grains. In fact, ate little else. Eating a wide variety of vegetables, including blueberries, eggplant, beets, and a long list more, our health will be greatly improved. In, fact, that would be the beginning of the Fuhrman program. Pretty cool.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

ufatbasted responded:
Hello EG

I read about the benefits of beets a while back. I have one a day in my green drink. It's amazing the variety of tastes and the health benefits one can dervive from veggies/bean/fruits etc

I had my first persimmon yesterday. VERY TASTY. I read somewhere they have a anti tumor nutrient.

Thanks for the link!

Cheers

jc3737 responded:
I asked a friend of mine about this and here was his reply.

"I don't think it is totally the nitrates in the beet root. Beet root is also a source of the methyl donor betaine (trimethylglycine, TMG) and iron. Betaine is involved in over 4,000 reactions in the body. Iron increases oxygen carrying ability, but at the same time can have adverse effects in in excess or free form. This includes increased risk or growth of some cancers and bacteria and oxidative damage to tissues. Men and non-menstruating women are in particular prone to iron overload. People with hemochromotosis should avoid beets altogether due to the iron.
One other thing to keep in mind about beets is that they are very hyperglycemic. So this can be an issue with people suffering from diabetes or insulin resistance."

deadmanwalking57 responded:
I came across a study on pubmed a few days ago, that betaine, high in quinoa, beets and spinach, can alter genes responsible for paraoxonase production, and help increase it.

Paraoxonase is the enzyme family that makes HDL more effective in reverse cholesetrol transport, activates ox-LDL cholesterol removal from foam cell/macrophage caused blockages opening blocked arteries, and is a powerful anti-oxidant as well.

People will appear to need less oxygen when exercising if they have better cardiac circulation, so that the heart muscle can work more effectively. I believe I get that from my secondary collateral network. I have to be getting oxygen from somewhere, and having a dozen small 80% blockages would sort of get in the way.

Maybe the beet juice has something that helps with nitric oxide, that helps relax blood vessels to improve blood flow.

DMW

engineerguy replied to deadmanwalking57's response:
Hi folks,

The wife just baked some beets, 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, wrapped in foil. The were delicious. I was really surprised. Nice to add it to the list of good food.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.