Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Preserving mental acuity
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

My greatest motivation for following this near vegan Dr Fuhrman, Eat To Live program, is to preserve my 3 brain cells. I can't afford to lose any of them.

Most people do not know that all the risk factors for alzheimers and dimentia are exactly, precisely, identically the same as risk factors for heart disease.

Here's a study published Jan 2011 (1) :

"Conclusions - A dietary pattern consistent with current guidelines to consume relatively high amounts of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, poultry, fish, and low-fat dairy products may be associated with superior nutritional status, quality of life and survival in older adults."

Sometimes people think that older people do not benefit from an excellent diet. Ridiculous. Here's a study showing that people over 70 years old, who ate 2 cups of vegetables daily, had 38% decrease in rate of cognitive decline. (2)

Best regards, EngineerGuy

(1) http://www.adajournal.org/article/S0002-8223(10)01648-2/abstract

(2) http://www.vegsource.com/news/2011/02/its-never-too-late-to-live-longer.html

DoloresTeresa responded:
However, EG, I was horrified to read somewhere that a good diet and exercise program will postpone the alzheimers not eliminate it if you are going to get it. I hope this isn't true. I think vascular dementia is different and definitely related to diet and exercise. . My mom had bypass surgery and was very faithful about eating what I believe was the diet her doctor gave her--eggs, meat, dairy, a little ice cream--everything in small portions.

Another friend is a victim of early alzheimers and has been bedridden for the last ten years, able to chew and swallow and do nothing else.
Give me a good old fashioned heart attack any day of the year. Believe me, there are a lot worse things than sudden cardiac arrest.

Dolores

engineerguy replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

Thanks for verbalizing what many of us (certainly including me) think of.

Re: However, EG, I was horrified to read somewhere that a good diet and exercise program will postpone the alzheimers not eliminate it if you are going to get it.

That's certainly true for what most people and even most authorities think of, as a "good diet and exercise program". Trim the fat off your steak, and trim the skin off your chicken. Such a "good" diet is too moderate to help most heart patients, most diabetics, and likely most people who would get alzheimers. But what about our program, where we actually try to be extreme, or extremely healthy in our program. Dr. Esselstyn demonstrated the best heart disease results ever medically documented. He met with his patients weekly for the first 5 years, and gave them a blood cholesterol check every 2 weeks. His program allowed no cheating. And his program was very very successful. 17 of 18 patients had no cardiac events for 20 years, as opposed to 48 events in the 8 years before his diet. 4 of his patients were given less than a year to live. (One of those 4 lived 8 years, and had extensive heart damage at the start of Esselstyn's study.)

How successful would Esselstyn or Fuhrman be at preventing alzheimers or dimentia? I am absolutely confident these programs are very helpful. Could they do fully as well for the brain as for heart disease? Gee, I would like to think so, but we actually don't know. Alzheimers develops so slowly, and is hard to detect. What's the alternative? So I work to be scrawny, although strong and fit. High nutrient, etc etc. Any better ideas? I believe it will allow me to live out my years with the best health and happiness, as allowed by my heredity.

If you want a guarantee, buy a used car.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.