Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
limit beans?
jc3737 posted:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21014&sid=15efa81207e067d83f75df8ba1a0f057

Does Dr Fuhrman say to limit beans?If not how does he counter the arguments of Dr Mcdougall?

engineerguy responded:
Hi jc,

Great post and great question, as always.

For those reading, Dr. Fuhrman recommends 1 cup of beans daily, minimum, unlimited.

Dr. McDougall recommends 1 cup of beans max. So did Pritikin. The concern was too much protein.

So, who's right?

Pritikin did not recognize the difference between animal and plant protein. Animal protein causes an acid metabolism (due to sulfur content). Plant protein does not. Animal protein is correlated with heart disease and cancer incidence. Plant protein is not.

Note that Jellen, towards the bottom of the first page, said "I'm one with beginning stages kidney concerns and I personally wrote dr. M. and asked about legume amounts per day. For me, I'm not to exceed 1/2 cup beans per day."

Jellen continued "When I was at ETL, dr. Fuhrman said not to exceed a cup of beans per day--but to split the amount over several meals to not tax the kidneys."

So, for anyone with kidney problems, 1 cup (perhaps 1/2 cup) is a limit. Both agree that beans are healthy up to 1/2 to 1 cup, even for some with kidney issues.

Personally, I eat 1 to 2 cups a day.

If someone is lean, down to the recommendation of Dr. Fuhrman (pinch 3/4 inch by the navel for men, and 1 inch for women **) and has fewer meals (2 or 3 meals a day), that slows the metabolism, and reduces the burden of metabolic waste products and free radicals, to be disposed by the liver and kidneys. This makes the body more tolerant of a variety of carb/fat/protein ratios. This is also remarked in the Longevity Diet, Lisa Walford. This is the beginning of the calorie restriction regime, where lifespan is increased. In this regime, the life extension aspect is observed, over a wide range of carb/fat/protein ratios.

The important thing is that 90% of McDougall and Fuhrman, is the same.

I agree with you, that my answer is not definitive. ^_^

Best regards, EngineerGuy

** Note the change, increase from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch, for men. This is one change, in the new edition of Eat To Live.

jc3737 replied to engineerguy's response:
Thanks for the info.I have been eating 3 cups of beans per day.

xring responded:
I doubt you could get excess protein from beans. Excess protein consumption is much more of a problem with a Standard American Diet which is heavy on meat & dairy, not beans, nuts & seeds.

A 3.5 serving of beef, chicken or fish has 28 gms protein. The same size serving of beans has 7-10 gms protein.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

An_192670 replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

I would go with Fuhrman's recommendations, where 3 cups of beans is great. I'm sure I get to 3 cups some days.

Excellent.

Hi Xring, excellent points, as always.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

55 year old male. Ex marathon runner and still an all around jock. I run, lift weights, yoga and box. I was a proud carnivore for 55 years. Few co...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.