Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Interesting Esselstyn talk about Heart Disease
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

Dr. Esselstyn has been reversing heart disease for over 20 years. His medical publications are the best documented results for heart disease, for any treatment, including any drug, surgery, anything. He uses careful diet and exercise, including statins and other drugs as appropriate.

Interesting notes from his talk (11 min)

Granted, a stent during a heart attack, can be life saving.

1.2 million stents / year 1% die 12,000 deaths 4% heart attacks 48,000 heart attacks.

bypass surgery 3% die of bypass.

Tim Russert achieved a LDL of 70, with a "gorilla" dose of statins. 70 is good. But statins are not as protective as excellent diet.

Patients who have had a heart attack: Greatest fear is "when is the other shoe going to fall?" This information empowers the patient to shed this fear, and replace it with joy of life.

http://www.vegsource.com/news/2011/03/esselstyn-heart-disease-reversal-video.html

For those reading, in my opinion, the best health information in the world today with with Dr. Joel Fuhrman, who just published the revised Eat To Live, in Jan 2011.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

engineerguy responded:
Hi folks,

Esselstyn quoted that there was a study done on autopsies of young people (accidents, suicides, etc). It showed that 80% of young people had signs of atherosclerosis.

Today, the study was repeated, 40 years later, and the results now are that 100% of people had signs of atherosclerosis. 100%.

I dug up the free JAMA article that Dr. Esselstyn referenced.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/281/8/727.full.pdf

xring replied to engineerguy's response:
Hi, EG.

I just finished a book by Dr. Nortin Hadler, "The Last Well Person." He talks extensive about the "Medicalization of the worried well." He describes how the normal process of aging is turned into a treatable (& profitable) disease. Including plaque, atherosclerosis, blood sugar, blood pressure, etc.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

engineerguy replied to xring's response:
Hi Xring,

Very interesting post.

What is Healthy? Dr. Nortin Hadler

http://wunc.org/tsot/archive/sot1004a07.mp3/view

He did not advocate checking cholesterol, for the average person, without risk factors. He says statins reduce heart attacks for those with risk factors, but do not extend lifespan, more than a few months, for a person without risk factors.

The vast majority of our 18% of our gross domestic product spent for health, is for drugs, procedures, delivery systems, etc, where the data shows the health benefit is nearly trivial or non-existant. OverDo$ed America by Dr. Abramson, is also a very valuable book.

This perspective is very valuable for breaking our reliance and trust on the medical world to maintain our health for us. On the other hand, Dr. Hadler does not seem to be aware of the great empowerment that we can exercise in taking control of our own health through diet and exercise.

Contrary to Dr. Hadler's advice, I am glad I did take my cholesterol years ago, without any significant risk factors, because it started me on the road to accepting responsibility for my own health.

DoloresTeresa replied to engineerguy's response:
I always think of taking a drug as controlled poisoning. It cures one thing maybe, but gives you something else. On vegsource there is an article about aspirin being suspect in causing erectile dysfunction. That is, for people who take one every day for the benefit it might have for the heart.

Dolores

xring replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
At the advice of his doctor, my father took daily aspirin & it caused him to have several GI bleeds - one that was almost fatal. At that ER visit, I asked the doctor if aspirin had anything to do with it & he replied, "No, he should keep taking aspirin daily." My father was a "He's the doctor....he knows what's best" type.

When he got tired of getting blood transfusions & repeatedly spending 5 days in the hospital, he stopped taking aspirin & the bleeding mysteriously stopped.

A perfect example of "iatrogenic" medical care - one that causes harm.

engineerguy replied to xring's response:
Hi Xring,

WoW, referring to your dad's experience.

xring replied to engineerguy's response:
Just one of several eye-opening experiences (with both of my elderly parents and myself) that taught me about the dangers of blindly following every doctor's advice.

DoloresTeresa replied to xring's response:
I think I wrote it here before, but my doctor fired me for not taking his advice. He wasn't even my regular doctor, but the managing partner of the practice whom I went to because my own doctor was out.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi folks, I've lived in beautiful Salt Lake City for the last 6 years (as of 2010). I had a mild 30's crisis, and adopted the Pritikin Diet,...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.