Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Latest Bloods
ufatbasted posted:
Just got my bloods back and I'm a bit bummed about my triglycerides they went up to 90 from 52 the past in 3 months.

I really don't get why they would almost double. I'm still eating the same diet. I would guess the only difference is a soy mousse my wife makes for me that has chocolate chips in it that I have twice a week.
My diet is 100% plant based, dairy free, oil free. I allow my self one piece of grill salmon or tuna a week. My workout routine has not changed neither has my weight.

I wonder if my vacation early February on which I cheated caused this? The 6 days I was away I ate grilled fish most days, had french fries and ice cream once. Also whole grains were not available so I ate processed grains while away. I also had the best piece of chocolate cake I ever had. :-)
I did make it through the week meat and except for the ice cream dairy free.

Any input is appreciated

xring responded:
I don't see anything wrong with 90. At my last labs, my triglycerides were 116 & my doctor said "that's great."

As you mentioned, there are probably many variables that affect the number.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

EngineerGuy replied to xring's response:
Hi UFB,

I CAN'T HELP IT. I LOVE YOUR NAME, UFB !!! :-)

I checked Dr Fuhrman's revised Eat To Live (Jan 2011). He did not give any range of desirable triglycerides.
www.trigsfacts.com said normal is < 150.

I checked my triglyceride values, for my own interest. 25 tests between 1999 and now, averaged 92, ranging from 63 to 153.
Of 5 readings since being on Fuhrman for nearly 4 years, they avg 77, ranging from 63 to 99. I noticed a downward trend, which I was not aware of previously. I don't mean that I'm any sort of ideal example, but simply one person's experience.

For those reading, Dr. Fuhrman has pointed out that when people first start the diet, and are losing weight, they are on a high fat diet (that is, living partly from their stored fat.) This can temporarily raise cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Do not be concerned, however. This is excellent. Note that cholesterol levels raise during fasting, for the same reason, but atherosclerosis reversal is fastest, during a fast. It is very healthy, to have an anabolic metabolic environment, that is, drawing from your reserves. This can be done by anyone, without fasting, by eating fewer meals, and waiting until they get hungry, before eating.

I don't think there is any problem at all. We want LDL below 100, with a high nutrient diet, excercise, be lean, and get sleep.

UFB, you are doing great. Time for congratulations. No bumming required. :-)

Best regards, EngineerGuy

ufatbasted replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Guys Thanks for the replies. Guess I'm getting hung up on numbers.

EG Thanks for the props and support!!!

EngineerGuy replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Hi folks,

Re: It is very healthy, to have an anabolic metabolic environment, that is, drawing from your reserves.

OOPS - I meant catabolic (drawing from reserves), not anabolic (eating, digesting, adding to reserves).

UFB, you're still going great. :-)

Best regards, EngineerGuy

twinb63 replied to ufatbasted's response:
I agree; the numbers are a rough guideline, lots of factors can influence the test results. As long as you're doing what you should be doing most of the time, & you feel good, your body will take care of itself.

josvin84 replied to twinb63's response:
I have recorded my numbers since 2003, year of my heart attack. I can truly say my numbers have almost never been ideal. "Best values" were when I was taking 40mg Lipitor tablets and Ornish style diet. Even then my HDL number was around 24 (0.6) and triglyceride 120 (1.3). Only problem was that I felt tired most of the time.

I have stopped taking Lipitor, and all other medication, after the first 3 to 4 years. My numbers for the last two years are total 180 (4.5), HDL 44 (1.1), LDL 105 (2.7) and TG 100 (1.1).

Final result is I feel good, enjoy my life and stay away from the operating table.

Regards,
Josvin

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my first and second heart attack in April 2003. ELEVEN years have passed since the heart attack. ELEVEN years since diagnosis of acute heart dis...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.