Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
wine
DoloresTeresa posted:
Does Fuhrman say anything about drinking wine? My brother went to a lecture by a doctor at his community center and the doctor pretty much recommended a Fuhrman type diet but also said to drink red wine. I personally think a little grape or pomegranate juice would give you the same amount of antioxidants but so many people are sold on wine. Even people who might not drink it were it not recommended as being good for you.

Dolores

josvin84 responded:
I dont know what Fuhrman recommends but I can recommend red wine for anyone who likes some alcohol at a party or when dining out etc.
Red grape and pomegranate juice,as you say, are probably just as good alternatives for getting your daily dosage of antioxidants.

Josvin

josvin84 responded:
You can read the Fuhrman FAQ section on red wine.
http://www.drfuhrman.com/faq/question.aspx?sid=15&qindex=0

"Overall, it is safer to eat a diet that will not permit heart disease rather than to rely on alcohol to decrease the potential of blood to clot. The bottom line is that the moderate drinking of alcohol is only an advantage to those who consume an unhealthy diet. There are no protective effects in low risk individuals consuming healthful, plant based diets with resultant low cholesterol levels. It is wiser to avoid the detrimental effects of alcohol completely and protect yourself from heart disease with nutritional excellence."

EngineerGuy replied to josvin84's response:
Hi Josvin,
Hi Dolores,

Dr. Fuhrman does not recommend alcohol as an improvement in a health program.

Some people I respect (Dr. Jay Kenney of the Pritikin Center) do recommend a low alcohol intake as a positive benefit for cardiac health. I have even seen articles suggesting improved brain function for low alcohol intake.

I enjoy one beer most evenings. The data is mixed, whether one beer would be healthful, or enough to be healthful, or harmful, or enough to be harmful. The data is clear that significantly more, is harmful.

For sure, if someone has a problem with alcohol, absolutely do not take it. Excessive alcohol use causes atrophy of the brain. The brain actually physically shrinks. I think a person loses IQ before the brain actually shrinks. There is a medical term for a portion of the population where the metabolism actually quickly and easily becomes reliant on alcohol. The term is "alcoholic". Whether a person becomes an alcoholic, or not, has nothing to do with whether they are good or bad, strong or weak. It is simply a result of their metabolism, likely due to hereditary factors. Whether a person is able to overcome alcoholism, has everything to do with whether they are strong or weak.

So, if you are happy with one beer or a small glass of wine, I'd say enjoy it. If you would like more, or would rather skip it, (either way) I'd recommend skip it. For sure, it offers a small benefit, at the most.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.