Skip to content
A1c results
engineerguy posted:
A1c results

Hi folks,

I just got my first every A1c test. It was 5.1, which I was very pleased with. The "Reference Level" is 4.6 to 6.0.

A1c % Approx Avg Glucose

5 97

6 126

7 154

8 183

9 212

10 240

11 269

12 298

I was not sure the A1c would be good. I have found that, since I work late, and get home often 9 or even 10PM, I was eating late, and going right to bed. Sometimes, eating and going right to bed, I would wake up with blurry vision, suggesting high blood sugar during the night.

So, I have changed my routine. I have some old fashioned oatmeal at work, and at 6PM or earlier, I'll have a bowl of oatmeal, perhaps with an apple, at that time, instead of just prior to bed. (I never have cooked the oatmeal. I just pour water or soy milk over it, maybe heat it, cinnamon, maybe put fruit on it. I like it much better more chewy, than fully cooked.)

So, I'll wait 3 months, and repeat the test, to see if the new regimine will lower the A1c any more.

I got a ReliOn brand A1c Test kit at Walmart for $9. It is just one measurement, where you take the kit home, use the lancet to draw 2 drops of blood, and mail it in. They email you a week later that the results are ready, and you get the results from their website. The lancet was barely noticeable (no pain). I almost was not able to get 2 drops of blood from my finger. So, follow their directions, to let you arms dangle at your sides, before doing the test, to have enough blood available. (I didn't do that, because I'm too macho or something. But I will next time.)

Best regards, EngineerGuy

xring responded:
Interesting - that's the first time I've ever seen a non-diabetic's A1c.

Mine was 8.9 at diagnosis & 6.0 three months after starting "Eat to Live." 12 months later, it was 6.0 again, which is fine with me - especially without any meds.

I've also seen the A1c/blood glucose average charts & I'm not so sure about their accuracy. My blood sugar at diagnosis was 491 & I must have been around 500 for several months since I lost 20 lbs. without trying. That means my A1c should have been much higher than 8.9. Also, I've met other diabetics whose A1c is higher than mine, but have lower blood glucose averages than I do.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

xring responded:
Remember that other things also cause blurry vision.

I have dry eyes & that is a frequent cause of blurry vision. The eye doctor explained that when the ratio of oil, water & salt in tears is not perfectly balanced, that causes blurry vision.

DoloresTeresa replied to xring's response:
RE, other diabetics whose A1c is higher than yours but whose blood glucose averages are lower than yours. HAH!! I am guessing that these people might be low carbers or eat meat and fats. I have written many times that in Atkins second book he reports that after a while the blood sugar of people on his diet goes up. So he created his meat and millet diet. Essentially he adds grains and vegetables to the meat and fat diet.

What I think is happening to meat and fat eaters who report low averages for daily sugars, is that the fat and meat are making them more insulin resistant so their A1c will rise but the daily readings might remain lower because fats do not raise blood sugars like carbs. They are happy to see the low daily numbers without understanding the consequences.

I also have to wonder about an A1c test using capillary blood rather than blood drawn from a vein. The reli on meter is now calibrated to convert the capillary blood reading to that for blood from a vein. The newer meters will give a slightly higher reading than the old ones which only read the capillary sugars. Are the people who report higher A1c than yours using capillary blood or are they getting blood drawn?

Dolores

xring replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
I think they're getting blood drawn because they're people at my diabetes support groups who have medical coverage (Kaiser), unlike me.

That makes sense about a higher fat diet raising A1c but keeping meter readings lower.

By the way, I'd NEVER trust an A1c from a home kit. After I had labs at my doctor, (A1c 6.0%) I was curious about that Bayer A1c home test kit that takes 5 minutes & costs $30.00 for two tests in each package. It showed 6.8%. I wrote to Bayer about the fact that it says "Lab Accurate" on the box which I found misleading. They replied, "An error rate of up to .9% is acceptable, so your reading is within range."

I guess you get what you pay for. My labs at the doctors were $385.00.

DoloresTeresa responded:
EG, when first diagnosed with diabetes I had blurry vision but my sugars were over 300. I would be very surprised if your sugars were high enough to cause blurry vision because you do not eat food that would cause very high sugars.

Sometimes if I eat very low carb before I go to bed my sugars will be higher than if I were to eat a potato. I think this is because the sugars go very low in the night and the liver compensates by pouring out more sugar than usual. When I say high I mean about 107 to 110.

I looked up blurry morning vision and it could be from many things--some serious. However, if you switch your diet and do not experience blurry morning vision then I am guessing it could be from migraine--one thing on the list of causes. A migraine does not have to cause pain. For the past several years, I have had an occasional migraine (usually diet related either from food or going longer than usually between meals etc) and they are always without any headache pain. These will cause vision problems, either aura or blurry vision. ( I get the aura). Have you ever had migraine headaches?

Dolores

An_192674 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Dolores,

No, I've never had a migrane.

My wife had a Ophthalmic (eye) migraine a couple times. No pain, but saw a zig-zag line across her vision. Very strange.

Anyway, I've moved my bowl of oatmeal to earlier in the day, and go to be slightly hungry. It seems to be working. No blurriness in the morning. Is it connected? Don't know, but it's good to get hungry between meals.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

DoloresTeresa replied to xring's response:
X, here is a direct quote from Atkins 1981 book, Dr. Atkins Nutrition Breakthrough--I get spectacular results in reducing or eliminating insulin by a low carb regimen. Unfortunately the control is not always for a lifetime, for some diabetics seem to "adjust" (quotation marks his) to the new regimen after a while and spill sugar again meaning they need insulin again.--- He goes on to say--Any vacation from insulin may well help to prolong a diabetic's life span. (Contrast this with McDougall and Fuhrman who do not talk about a short "vacation" from diabetes.)

Then on page 275 he introduces his meat and millet diet. He says--this is the best blood sugar ...diet I have devised for people who can't afford to be on the weight loss regimen. It affords many clinical advantages of high complex carbs to simple carbs ratio plus high fiber. It provides fiber, minerals, vitamins inherent in whole carbs. etc, etc.

He says his new meat and millet diet includes eggs, cheese, millet oats, wheat, rice,cous cous, barley, potatoes, yams and legumes. Well, well ,well. He still doesn't remove meat, eggs, cheese so it sounds like the SAD without processed foods and sugars.

I guess this wasn't selling books because you never read a word about this in succeeding books--and there is even one book written under his name after his death that is a diet for diabetes with no mention of the meat and millet diet.

Dolores

xring replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
I sorta always thought Dr. Atkins succeeded at selling lots of books by telling people (who love rich, high fat food) exactly what they wanted to hear. It also seemed like an unhealthy way to lose weight.

Spotlight: Member Stories

55 year old male. Ex marathon runner and still an all around jock. I run, lift weights, yoga and box. I was a proud carnivore for 55 years. Few co...More

Helpful Tips

Killer Athlete's Foot Cure
If you have athlete's foot, gently wash the affected area. I usually got it between my toes. Use a hair dryer on warm, to dry the foot for ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.