Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
overeating
DoloresTeresa posted:
I think there is something wrong with me. I simply cannot eat everything I want as long as it is just plant based and lose weight. I still have to count calories. I am sure that if I adhered strictly to a raw foods diet I could, but I enjoy beans and oatmeal and rice and potatoes along with all kinds of cooked vegetables. I especially enjoy homemade vegetable soup with all kinds of vegies and rice or oats and beans or lentils. I try to stick as close as I can to about 300 calories for each of four meals. A bag of frozen brocolli, a small sweetpotato and an apple, for instance contain just about three hundred calories. If I had a two thousand calorie smoothie every morning like EG along with whatever I were to eat the rest of the day, I could get a job in a circus.

It seems everyone on fuhrman, McDougall, esselstyn are reported to eat, with the gurus permission, without counting calories and still lose tons of weight. What am I doing wrong?

xring responded:
I can't eat everything I want (as long as it's plant based) either. I do not have to count calories, but that's because 70-80% of what I eat is raw fruits & vegetables. I only limit meats, cheese & starches (like oatmeal, corn, potatoes). I do not limit beans. The most fat-dense food I eat is several handfuls of nuts/day. I'm not sure why I don't gain weight from nuts but maybe it's because I don't eat much meat/cheese & maybe the fat in nuts is metabolized more efficiently than the fat in meat & dairy. At least that's what the CDE/dietician at my support group said. I also exercise 30-60 minutes/day.

After steadily losing 50 lbs, I did recently gain 5 lbs for some reason.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

Hanawaiman6358 replied to xring's response:
I can easily can weight on a strict low fat plant based diet. I love smoothies and they can go over 1000 calories easily plus the meal. So I gotta be more careful with calories.

EngineerGuy replied to Hanawaiman6358's response:
Hi Dolores,

On the bright side, a low metabolism means you are living longer. You aren't making lots of free radicals and metabolic byproducts, when just sitting around. That's great. Studies show your telomeres are longer (better) than the faster running metabolisms.

Some people cannot lose weight unless they exclude whole grains and potatoes. (Fuhrman does discourage white potatoes, but McDougall, Pritikin and the others do not. Yes, I enjoy potatoes some times. I used to eat 5 pounds in less than a week.) Sweet potatoes are fine.

So, please consider my comments as thoughts offered for your consideration only.

I wouldn't beat yourself up. You are super, you know. But if you want to lose weight, the foods that you mentioned, to reduce, would be potatoes, then rice, then oatmeal. Perhaps increase peas, squash to replace them? I look forward to steamed greens daily, with red cabbage, peas, celery, mushrooms, onions, and spiced with a little chipotle chile pepper. I cook up enough for a week or two at a time, and freeze 2 cup portions.

Try not to eat for 4 hours before bed. If you do get a hankering at night, try an orange or two? Sometimes I go to bed slightly hungry. I just drink a glass of water, and the hunger passes in a while.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have severe atherosclerosis with ectasiac (long, stretched out) sections, small aneurysms in primary cardiac arteries. I am blessed to also have ...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.