Skip to content
low salt diet harmful
DoloresTeresa posted:
Dr. Gabe Mirkin, May 8, talks about a low salt diet blocking insulin receptors and may actually cause hypertension. I do not know what Mirkin or anyone else means when they say low salt or severely restricted salt intake. What is low salt? I hope someone goes onto Mirkin's websit and reads this.

Dolores

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi Dolores,

We have to realize that the average American (on the SAD), lives on primarily white flour, sugar and high fructose corn syrup, oil, dairy products and excess meat, fish and poultry for calories. All these foods are very high calorie, and very low nutrient (or totally devoid of nutrients). The sugar, fructose and oil, are completely sodium free. With a diet like this, a person can be on an almost sodium free diet, if they take their dairy and meat without added sodium. (Cheese is very high sodium.) Salt is essential to life.

We, on the other hand, eat lots of unprocessed, mostly whole plant based foods. Vegetables average about 1/2 mg sodium per calorie, depending on what we eat. So, a 1500 calorie diet would average about 750 mg sodium, which is well above the minimum. Most of us are certainly above 1500 calories.

Also, we have to realize that Dr. Mirkin has a show, and whatever is sensational, and likely to raise ratings, is wonderful, from his perspective. The public press, and similar, are not the best place to get our information. In fact, Dr. Fuhrman is usually 3 to 5 years ahead of the public nutritional information, in terms of adopting the newest information into practice.

Dr. Oz has had Dr. Fuhrman on his show. They play tennis together. But not everything on Dr. Oz supports the Fuhrman program.

So, we do not have a severely restricted salt intake, eating mostly whole plant based foods.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 33 years old and live in Chicago. I'm a Biology undergrad at Loyola and hope to go on to medical school or an MS/RD program. I follow a v...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.