Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OLIVES
DoloresTeresa posted:
Is there anyone on Fuhrman who eats, in addition to nuts, seeds, avocado, cashew (and other) salad dressings, etc, olives? I found a vegan recipe that uses two kinds of olives and capers ( I rinse them off as well as I can to get rid of some of the salt) in a sauce of crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes. I leave out the oil and the added salt and the recipe makes a great putanesca sauce. Other than the salt in the olives and capers it seems to me that if whole avocados are ok then whole olives would also contain the fiber and any other nutrients in the olives. I don't recall if Fuhrman uses olives. I know McDougall and Esselstyn would not.. This isn't something I would make very often because the olives and capers are quite expensive.

Dolores

DoloresTeresa responded:
just found a site with a comparison of esselstyn, fuhrman ,Mcdougall. I was surprised that both fuhrman and McDougall say to avoid olives but Esselstyn says to eat olives in moderation.

Unlike Fuhrman Esselstyn and McDougall say to avoid nuts seeds and avocados. Although esselstyn might allow very few walnuts.

Dolores

xring responded:
I sometimes sprinkle sliced olives on my salad. I'm not crazy about them.
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

xring replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Nuts? Well, I haven't limited nuts for the past two years. Since eating little meat & dairy, I eat 5-7 handfuls/day & my hands are large.

Interesting recent study says nuts are among the foods that cause weight loss. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304791204576401951936407230.html
Politicians should serve two terms. One in office and one in prison.

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi Dolores,

Re: Other than the salt in the olives and capers it seems to me that if whole avocados are ok then whole olives would also contain the fiber and any other nutrients in the olives.

My opinion would be that the capers and olives, used occasionally as a spice, and sodium drained, would be fine, since there is not really much of them. Considering them as part of a daily diet, would be too much. I would say go for it.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

DeadManWalking57 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Hey guys, long time no "see".

Personaly, I don't like olives.

I can only eat very small amounts of avocado. 1/4 avocado gave me two hours of chest pain a few years ago. So take 1/4 avocado, maybe quarter that, and slice thin the 1/16 avocado; that much in a sandwich I tolerate, though I haven't in a few years.

I can eat Pistachios freely every day, but no other nuts on a regular basis in any amount.

I have been doing too many other internet things, interfering with my 6 times a week exercise program. Got to get back to that. But still on my very tight diet.

I go for a full body scan Wednesday, learn what 6 years of diet and exercise have done for my circulatory system.

DMW

EngineerGuy replied to DeadManWalking57's response:
Hi DMW,

Always great to hear from you. Best of luck with your body scan.

Yours, EngineerGuy

jc3737 replied to DeadManWalking57's response:
DMW,What did the scan show?I hope it was good news. JC

DeadManWalking57 replied to jc3737's response:
I read more about the scans before going, and cancelled.

They were very popular initially some years ago, but what they provided was less useful than advertised. The scan mainly shows calcification of fatty deposits.

A particular reviewer said this scan makes more sense if recommended by a doctor as part of a physical, but just getting one to see what's happening is far less useful. I've been on a low fat, low calcium diet, so its very possible I will only show old news, and get with it a pretty high radiation dose.

I still feel pretty well, have had a slightly lazy year exercising. More due to sloth on my part, not limits to what I can do, or any pain.

The one big change in my diet the last two years, that Trader Joe's has no Dark Choclate Pistachios. Hard to find for some time on the internet, but now there are a few sites, so I 'll break down and order some.

My pomegranate tree is producing for the 3rd year (?), and good fruit, with edible seeds. Trick is to quarter them gently, then eat from a very large bowl, slowly opening aril sections, and eating them like popcorn one or a couple at a time. Then wash your hands afterwards.

EngineerGuy replied to DeadManWalking57's response:
Hi DMW,

Yes, pomegranates are coming into season again. Hurray. And always great to see you around.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have severe atherosclerosis with ectasiac (long, stretched out) sections, small aneurysms in primary cardiac arteries. I am blessed to also have ...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.