Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
fruit
DoloresTeresa posted:
Both McDougall and Fuhrman limit fruit for diabetics and at least Fuhrman recommends eating the lower glycemic fruits. And Mirkin says to eat fruit with a meal. I eat all kinds of fruit, often between meals. My blood sugar is fine but do you think some kind of damage is being done that I don't know about? Do you guys eat plenty of fruit or choose to limit it?

Dolores

twinb63 responded:
I eat lots of fruit. Currently cherries are in season & I love 'em.

josvin84 responded:
No limit on fruit. I eat from 3 to six pieces fruit daily.

jc3737 responded:
Fruit can cause digestive problems in some.Fructose can feed harmful pathogens....but many people have no trouble with inlimited fruit.Last yr I could eat all I wanted or so I thought.

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi Dolores,

People vary in their response to fruit. Most people benefit from eating lots of fruit. Fuhrman points out that epidemiological studies consistently show less cancer for more fruit. But Fuhrman has recommended to some poeple to limit to 2 fruits per day.

Just an observation for your consideration.

Fuhrman says to eat when you're hungry. For my first year on Fuhrman, I eat 6 times a day, because that was how often I thought I was hungry, because that was what Pritikin had recommended.
When I read Fuhrman's advice for diabetics that were concerned about diabetic neuropathy, that they should eat twice a day, I finally understood. So now, I eat 2 or 3 times a day. (My "dinner" is usually several small meals over a couple hours, due to my work schedule. My point is not to stress over exactly how to count how many meals. The object is to draw from your reserves, and get hungry once or twice a day.)
There is an impressive list of animal experiments showing that animals live longer and healthier, by eating every other day.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

jc3737 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Its often wise to avoid fruit after taking antibiotics.Fruit can feed candida overgrowth that gets out of control when antibiotics kill off too much of the beneficial bacteria that keeps candida under control.

But if you are not having any GERD,acid reflux,or digestive problems its probably not necessary to avoid fruit.That likely means overgrowth of candida is not a problem.

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
I now take a probiotic when I take an antibiotic which is rare to never.

Dolores

jc3737 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Are you having any indigestion/GERD/digestive problems/pain?

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi Dolores,

Your posts, and jc's posts, are always fascinating and inofrmative and though provoking. THANKS !! :-)

I looked up www.Mirkin.com . It was interesting. But his discussion on treatng diabetes only mentioned controlling diabetes. It did not mention the possibility of reversing diabetes, getting off medication, or even losing weight. In the list of helpful websites, there were som interesting websites I did not know of, but there was no mention of Pritikin, McDougall,Fuhrman, Ornish, Barnard, or Fuhrman. I don't think Mirkin has as much success with diabetics as the others.

As a suggestion for your consideration, as we strive for healthier living, we pick a program an commit to it, to really see how well it works for us.

I've been on Fuhrman for 4 years now, and I am still further adjusting and adopting more recommendations. Most recently, I am trying to eat nothing, or little, after 6PM. If I go to bed slightly hungry, this is very healthy. It seems like magic, that I can lose a little weight, not lose strength, and continue to get more lean. For some meals, I eat over 2 pounds of veggies from a local supermarket "salad bar". This provides a wide variety of fresh veggies, and fruit, and some sunflower seeds. I am amazed that this can be satisfying, on very few calories.

When Fuhrman says we can eat mostly vegetables and eat fewer calories, I never fully believed him.

EngineerGuy replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Hi folks,

oops, that's www.drmirkin.com . Interesting info, but I feel Fuhrman is the best health advice (if anyone is surprised at that). :-)

EngineerGuy replied to EngineerGuy's response:
Hi Josvin and Twin,

Your posts are also excellent. This is a no chopped liver zone.

:-)

Never. I seem to have a cast iron stomach. And I love hot food with chili pepper, jalepeno, cherry peppers. The only time I had that problem was when the doctor prescribed an antibiotic. Like a fool I started taking it before the results of the culture were in. There was no infection and he told me to continue taking it anyway and like a fool I did. It produced constant pain. The doctor didn't know if it was gastrointestinal or cardiac. He insisted I take a beta blocker and go for a stress test and endoscopy. Before I did that I took probiotics for three days and the pain went away. You don't cure heart disease in three days with a probiotic. Fortunately the gastro guy wouldn't take me and told me to go to the hospital which I didn't and therefore escaped all that testing. Evidently the antibiotic, with no bad germs to eat up, ate up the good stuff. The doctor told me not to come back because I didn't take his advice.

Dolores

DoloresTeresa replied to EngineerGuy's response:
For whom does Fuhrman recommend two fruits a day?

Dolores

jc3737 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Thats a healthy sign of good digestion and is rare for someone past the age of 50.Peppers are great for digestion and often kill certain pathogens.Peppers even correlate with less cancer.

Re hot peppers. Doctor Gerber says that although peppers may irritate, they do not cause any damage and as a matter of fact, if taken with aspirin actually prevent the bleeding that aspirin always causes. I didn't check the studies he cited so take this with a grain of salt.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

55 year old male. Ex marathon runner and still an all around jock. I run, lift weights, yoga and box. I was a proud carnivore for 55 years. Few co...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.