Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My exercise accomplishment
twinb63 posted:
In February I decided to expand my walking outside & inside on the treadmill to include the elliptical crosstrainer at the gym. I began at 20 minutes to judge how slowly/quickly to increase the time. By March I was up to 30 minutes steadily, as well as a couple days of intervals - 30 seconds rather quickly then 60-90 seconds slowly to recover. I added 10 more minutes in both April and May. Two weeks ago I did an hour steadily, burning 500 calories in the process & trying to get my by now swollen-with-pride head into the car to tell my wife. Now I'm on the treadmill or exercise bike for 45-60 minutes a couple of times a week, four days on the elliptical for ~50 minutes, and once a week I go for an hour. One day for rest with just a leisurely walk outside. Since I'm still on a beta blocker, my heart rate doesn't go above 115 usually but the main thing is I'm breathing easily & sweating normally. 60 minutes feels well within my aerobic capacity.

Along wtih this regimen and diet came a weight loss of 20 lbs., taking me under 200 lbs. last week. I see the doc in 3 weeks at which time I'm gonna push for a reduction in the beta blocker & BP meds, since I'm getting hypotensive when I bend over then stand up.

Anyway, I want to encourage all of you who may not be exercising as much as you know you should to start adding time to your sessions. The payoffs are worth the time and effort.
(I'm not looking for praise. My wife regularly pats me on the head and kicks me in the ass to keep me motivated. hehe. Hang in there everyone.)

Joe (a now irregular poster but regular forum reader)

DoloresTeresa responded:
Does anyone else think that three weeks is a long time to wait to go off beta blockers? My brother was waiting to go off his bp meds and also experienced very low bp. The doc gradually reduced them. I don't think you want to stop cold turkey.

Dolores

EngineerGuy replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Hi Twin,

Always great to hear from you.

"...trying to get my by now swollen-with-pride head into the car to tell my wife." LOL !!! :-)

For everyone, check out the "Meals for Health" testamonials I posed. Between Twin's post, and the testamonials, it might urge some people to take the plunge, and make a big change in lifestyle. As I may have mentioned before, I believe Fuhrman's program is the best.

Dolores has a good point, that it's best to get off some medications gradually. Check with the doctor.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

twinb63 replied to EngineerGuy's response:
I hope I was clear: I'll continue taking my meds as prescribed until I see my doc in 3 weeks, then follow his directions if he decides to reduce them; he's not the kind of guy who changes the dosage of meds without seeing someone in person.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with diabetes in March of 2007. Ever since then I've been slowly losing weight, exercising and eating as healthy as I can. Thanks ...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Fluoride Treatments for your teeth
Hi folks, Background info: ============ My dentist prescribed some prescription grade fluoride toothpaste. For about $8, I got the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.