Skip to content
Alaska Cruise
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

I haven't been on for the last couple weeks, because I went on a cruise to Alaska. Great to be back.

Alaska was beautiful. We saw lots of bald eagles. So happy they are plentiful. A woman on the cruise, from Indiana, said they see lots of bald eagles in Indiana, also.

Did you know there are rain forrests in Alaska? I didn't. Alaskan rain forrests, compared to a tropical rain forrect, have fewer species, but more bio mass. I've heard that tropical rain forrest soil, has very very poor quality. I am guessing that the huge amount of rain, washes away many nutrients, in the tropical rain forrest. The Alaskan rain forrest does not have that problem.

The Alaskan rain forrest is similar to Seattle, with cloud cover most of the time, and frequent rain. There is moss on the shady side of tree trunks. The cruise ended in Vacouver, and we walked through fabulous Stanley Park, with beautiful immense redwood trees and lush vegetation.

We didn't see any bears in Alaska, but there are plenty. On a kayaking excursion, they told us, if we go to the out house, to go in pairs, never alone. And, if we see a bear, absolutely do not run.

Juneau is the capital of Alaska. Like my friend said, "All roads lead to Juneau, only in this case, no roads lead to Juneau." There are roads in Juneau, but no roads connect to any other town. The only access is by boat, or plane. The terrain is very mountainous, with lots of inlet bays. The cost of a road would be prohibitive, and there is no other town close by. Most towns in Alaska have no road access.

A comedian on the cruise was from Maine. She said that Alaska is like Maine on steroids.

We saw a national park on totem poles. It turns out that totem poles only last about 75 years, before they rot away. All the totem poles in the national park were made in the 1930's by the CCC.

Hey, folks, great to be back.

Wishing everyone the best of health.

Best regards,
Stacy

jc3737 responded:
Welcome back EG...Sounds like you had a great trip!

engineerguy replied to jc3737's response:
Hi jc,

Thanks very much. Had a great time, but missed all you folks.

Best regards,
Stacy

ufatbasted replied to engineerguy's response:
Hey EG

Sounds like a nice trip. It's something I would like to do some day.

Curious were you able to stick to your diet on the cruise?

Best
Stan

engineerguy replied to ufatbasted's response:
Hi UFB,

I've heard some say they have, on a cruise.

You can get lots of vegetables (salad, etc) and fruit on the cruise. Almost nothing available for nuts and seeds, or salt free beans. But, those would be easy to bring with you, onto the boat.

Was I able to stick to the diet? I tried to break the diet in moderation, especially on the deserts. I failed miserably. I AM PATHETIC !!

I would have one desert, and say, "OK, that's all." I would be talking to someone, and I would start drooling, thinking of another desert, and I'd start gargling. I'd start drowning in drool. So I'd have another desert. I'd end up with 5 to 8 deserts. I'd be frustrated that I felt sick, and that the deserts didn't taste as great as the first bite. But I'd still keep eating !! How pathetic.

The last 2 days, I simply decided I could not have any deserts. Then it was easy. However, I did miss the beans and nuts.

So, no, I did not stay on the diet on the cruise. It's so easy at home, but so difficult traveling or at social occasions.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

ufatbasted replied to engineerguy's response:
HaHa EG. Drowning in Drool Love it!

I asked as I'm going to Argentina for 10 days in the fall and wonder if I'll be able to stick to the plan. I'll end up eating what I want which could mean sticking to the plan or maybe going off it for some Argentinian grass fed beef. It's going to be a by the moment thing for me

I guess I'm lucky I was never big on deserts!

engineerguy replied to ufatbasted's response:
Hi UFB,

Have a great trip to Argentina. Grass fed beef sounds great.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with diabetes in March of 2007. Ever since then I've been slowly losing weight, exercising and eating as healthy as I can. Thanks ...More

Helpful Tips

2 Salads a Day
Hi folks, Probably the most important tip there is: Eat 2 large salads a day. A salad has lots of greens and vegetables. Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.